silver78
Participant
@silver78

Hey folks, 😀

How are you? Name is Ian, from Scotland, and I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

I had an addition to an old tattoo when I was in La Paz (Bolivia) 2 years ago. Parlour was top, clean and professional. Since it was done, parts of it get lumps from time to time than can change in shape, numbers and size. Does any one have experiance of this and can you advise on what it is and if I need to do anything about it? :confused:

I also have it outlined with UV ink. Since then I have been told that UV is banned in many other countries due to health and safety concerns. Can anyone also shed some light on this? – And can the two be connected? 🙁

Many thanks folks, Have a sweet day.

Ian

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

I dont think its banned but many here don’t think its a good idea ..
are the lumps just like little spots ? or worst ?

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

The lumps will have to wait for a diagnosis from our tattoo guru, I’m sure.

But I have a UV ring on my finger that hasn’t given me any problems…
So I don’t think that could be it.

Maybe an allergy that you have though.
Who knows.

Some UV inks contain phosphorous I think it was…and there was some other chemical…
I don’t remember…
But there are two bad things that CAN be in UV ink…hopefully you didn’t get either.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

With regards to UV ink here is what I have taken from my research

UV Ink (Black Light Ink)

This type of ink is a relative newcomer to the tattoo scene and has been around approximately 10 years for human consumption, although it has much more recently taken off for use as a tattooing pigment

The ink in essence glows in the dark especially when it is placed under an ultraviolet light (the kind usually found in nightclubs).

Although they come in colour the white ones are not as discernible to the naked eye but the outline of the scar can be seen on the skin.

So what is it made from?

There are two main types of UV ink on the market:

Polymethylmethacrylate 97.5% and micro spheres of fluorescent dye 2.5% suspended in UV sterilized, distilled water.

This was mainly used for marking animals and fish. This was so they could trace at night in the wild.

The second type of pigment used is a photo luminescent pigment, which contains alkaline earth aluminates.

These can include the very toxic soft metals

Barium

Beryllium

Radium

Strontium

All of these are highly toxic to the human body and can lead to cancer and severe allergic reactions.

There is no official research as yet as to whether this type of ink is safe to use in tattooing in the long term.

Whilst I have done my best to evaluate the risk of the above products but as with all chemicals they may carry a risk later on in life. No responsibility can be taken for the above information – if in doubt seek further clarification from a medical professional.

Whilst I am sure your ink is phosphorous and aluminate free (you would have noted serious side effects by now) keep an eye on it. The pigment has been known to stop working within 2-5 years and it is advised not to top up unless there is some long term studies done of the effects.

As for the lumps there are a number of causes that create this;

A reaction to the pigment used (some contain metal elements or mild irritants) these can be ‘activated’ by heat from water as the blood flow increases to the area.#

It could be a skin reaction to the creams or body care that you are using and is causing the hair phollicles or a similar allergic reaction.

In fact there are separately 123 possible skin disorders (the majority harmless) that contain the symptoms but the main thing is as long as they are not bleeding, oozing pus, bruised or solid lumps that never go away you should be fine.

My advice is try a cold compress and if you are very concerned then seek medical advice/skin test.

Take Care
Matthew

silver78
Participant
@silver78

Hey guys,

LUMPS – Many thanks for your information. I had a friend the other day suggest that the pores in our skin can get clogged by the inks and that can be the lumps too. Either way they are never sore, pusy or permanent so thank you all, mind is at rest.

UV – also thanks, has helped too and am not worried now I hear there is nothing imediatly to concern myself with.

Really appreciate your thougts and advice, may the best of your past be the worst of your future…

Ian

😎

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.