ellipsis
Participant
@ellipsis

I got a tattoo done on Sat. afternoon of a sugar skull (pink, black and white ink) on my upper arm on the outside. It covers about 1/2 of my upper arm. Well the issue is the day after it was pretty red, I have sensitive skin so I really didn’t think anything of it, especially since I use my arms so much. It was also quite warm, like a sunburn, again nothing I wasn’t familiar with, being that I have tattoos and have been tattooed before by this artist.

Then today I woke up and the redness was gone, I assumed it was red from the movement, (flexing, exercising, picking up a 3 year old, etc) and of course, it came back. But the reason I am a little worried is that the redness is extended now. it goes from the bottom of my tattoo all the way almost to the crease of my arm (it is also still warm to the touch, which hasn’t went away). I have no fever, no oozing, no swelling, no foul odor. Now, the rest of my tattoo, isn’t red! Just this specific spot (the bottom) I tried to take pics, but the redness isn’t quite bright enough to show up I guess:mad: I’d say it extends 3 inches from the bottom of my tattoo. Ive never had a tattoo this big nor have I had one so “decorated”. It’s also my first tattoo with a lot of color.

I did have to wear a long sleeve short for a small amount of time today, and it was irritating it (it hurt quite bad to be honest) but other then the redness it feels like a normal tattoo, its starting to scab and besides the redness and sunburned feeling I feel normal, as well.

Should I be worried? I would call my artist but his shop is closed on Mondays, just trying to get some reassurance for the night that I shouldn’t book it to the hospital or anything! Thanks in advance!

ellipsis
Participant
@ellipsis

Heres a pic I took the first night, its not the best quality but kinda shows you how big it is.

tat7.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/tat7.jpg/

link in case it doesnt work!

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

cute skull. i dont see anything wrong in that pic but its taken from a distance :rolleyes:
what are you using for after care ? with it going away and then coming back again i wonder if your reaction is to a cream your using ??

ellipsis
Participant
@ellipsis

hi thanks for the response, i mentioned that i couldnt get a pic of the redness, that pic was just kinda showing how big it was in relation to my arm (i had a hard time explaining how the redness extended, thought it’d help with a visual, and thanks for the compliment)

i am using generic antibacterial soap (orange like dial but a no name) and aquaphor, tomorrow I am supposed to be switching from the aquaphor to lubriderm unscented (which I have) and I have used all of these products before with no issue? 🙁 I dunno what’s going on. The redness is still there but as I said its barely even warm to the touch anymore, bah I am probably just overreacting. I assume since this redness has been here since yesterday morning (well ever since I got the tattoo, but extending) that I would probably be deathly ill right now if I had sepsis, or would start noticing other signs pointing to an infection.

I’m definitely going to call my artist tomorrow just to see what he says but I think I can sleep tonight without worrying about dying in my sleep (I am a freak!) rofl.

🙂

010-1.jpg

again, this is the first night (sat) but its a better (close up) pic of the tattoo 😛

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

Cute tatt.

I see a bit of the redness you are describing and it seems a bit puffy as well. Since this was your first “big” tattoo I wouldn’t worry to much with it b/c ya skin just took a shock.

When I got the Fairy part of my half sleeve done I had the sun burn feeling, puffy, redness and it stayed like that for a few days….everything you described. And your arms are a bit small so having something that big on a small area just throws it for a whirl.

Just keep doin what ya doin as far as aftercare

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Generally, unless you see something MAJORLY wrong with a tattoo…there isn’t an infection.
(Not that you shouldn’t be careful and take precautions)

With such a solid piece, there is bound to be some redness.

I just had my back done and the redness extended maybe an inch away from the tattoo at first.
Lasted a while too.

Really, I wouldn’t worry about it.

ellipsis
Participant
@ellipsis

Thanks for the replies, again when I woke up this morning the redness has eased off and isn’t nearly as warm.

I have a collection of stars going down my right side and I remember that one of my stars that was rubbing against my pants had a lot of redness and was pretty mad @ me for a little while.

Thanks for the compliments, its the beginning of my day of the dead themed sleeve and we’re adding some flowers, wind (petals in the wind) in about a month or two.

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

#1, great looking tat, love the pink and #2 nothing to be concerned about. Like you said, it’s NORMAL for it to have red spots and kind of a ‘sunburn’ feel during the healing process, and judging by off and on of the redness, it’s likely just irritation of the tattoo and nothing else. No swelling, oozing, or puss isn’t present so it’s no infection, just a bit of irritation.

It might take a good month to fully heal or so. Just use A & D ointment throughout the day one day, and Vitamin E the next day and repeat until the tat is fully healed and redness goes away. I have a fresh tat, which is 3 weeks healing and it’s still a bit red, but getting better by the day with A & D and Vitamin E. Nothin to worry.:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.