juddrick
Participant
@juddrick

I am thinking of getting a tribal tattoo on the top of my back any1 got any good designs tht i could use

or any pointers of what type

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Tribal is so boring.

Get something better.

juddrick
Participant
@juddrick

what would you recmend then?

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

Tribal really is getting a bad wrap. I’ve seen my artist flat out refuse to do a tribal tattoo. What else interests you? Perhaps you could spend some time looking at some of the user gallories here on the forums. There is a lot of beautifull work that could give you a general direction to go in. If your heart remains set on a tribal though get a tribal. After all, it’s your ink, your body, you are the only one that has to love it.

Tecratt
Participant
@tecratt

You should get a flaming penis with wings flying into a koi skull’s eye socket. :eek::D

Seriously though, you need to do some research. Search google images, deviantart, and photobucket for different tattoo designs and figure out what style you like, color or black and grey, etc, etc…

Tattoos are personal and you are going to have to figure out the basics of what you want by yourself. Then take it to an artist and let him take your ideas and make something awesome out of it.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If you want tribal because you really like it then;

What style of tribal do you want? Polynesian, Celtic, Nordic, Black line (dusk till dawn style)?

Do you want it shaped into an animal, fantasy, lines, knotwork, religious?

What is it you like about tribal?

How big do you want to go and would you want more on your back?

Is there any other ink that would interest you?

Take Care
Matthew

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

the main problem with tribal is that if often just looks stuck on and not designed to fit the area and follow the lines of the body.
from time to time i see a piece of tribal that looks stunning but most just looks like flash that some one has picked to place on :rolleyes:

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Tribals are like spinach. Delicious as a side dish, but if that’s all you got, it’s kinda bleh. Straight tribals come out as boring and out of place for all the reasons Lord Hull and Butterfly listed, but, if you ask me, their best served purpose is to emphasize another design. They can add movement and drama to a piece if used properly.

Like Tecratt said, go to your artist and see if he/she has any ideas if you ain’t got none. They can help you develop your ideas.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

i dont understand why everyone dislikes tribals, im totally in love with tribals and im dreaming to expand mine every day!
even the smallest weirdest tribal can mean a whole world to a person and look cool ๐Ÿ˜€
plus, i prefer tribal than stars or fairies xD oh oh and ofcoz Chinese tats, so sick of those everywhere

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Personally I do not hate tribal (in any form) it can be an effective artform like any other.

The slight prejudice with certain types of tattoo styles is that if there is a saturation of it ppl become a little jaded in suggesting a positive image of it.

Many tattoo enthusiasts are looking for a custom piece or a unique twist on flash. As stated there is rarely a new idea in art so we have to re-invent the old.

This is where flash tribal (the thick black ones) have become a little battered as no matter what shape we place it into be it spikes, swirls, or knots we still see the trademark very thick black linework fill.

This is something that excites a person or not. It is like comparing the oils of Monet to the contemporary art of Hirst you will get camps that love or hate it.

That is why I would suggest putting as much thought into a tribal piece as I would a portrait piece as you want the best from it.

Take Care
Matthew

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i didnt turn down my last client for tribal work, i just told him he could only have it if i did it in bright pink ๐Ÿ˜€
he chose something much nicer instaead ๐Ÿ˜‰

tribal is getting a bit outdated and boring now, it can look ok if on the right body but unless your donned with a 6 pack and a body of rippling muscle then they look out of place in my eyes, you never see a tribal tattooed person on any adverts unless they are built like a chipmunk stripper guy….. does that say anything to you ??

obviously those are just my personal thoughts out loud :p

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.