ShinRa
Participant
@shinra

My definition of a tattoo is an image that represents an experience, belief, or a love of something. That way when ever we die the tattoos can tell a story about us.

I’m wanting to get a tattoo on my arm that represent who i am. So then when I shake someone’s hand they can see the images and get to know me a little better. I don’t expect this to be completed in one session, meaning I know for sure I’ll add work to it as I get older. I’d like for the images to be some how connected together or like when you take a picture of a group of people everyone has their arms around one another.

But I get the feeling that I’m putting too much thought into this tattoo, that im trying to be too creative ( cause i suck at creativity) , and that I should follow the KISS rule (Keep it simple stupid).

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Yes, too much thought can and often does ruin tattoo design. When you place symbolism over aesthetic concerns, you often times get in trouble. Also, it makes you look like a pretentious douchenozzel to say something like “This flaming skull represents my determination, my tenacity, and how I’m going to die: in flames thrown from a Nazi flamethrower as I fight the Fifth Reich.”

I’m not saying that a tattoo shouldn’t have a deeper meaning, I’m just saying it’s unnecessary and besides the point. Art in any form is supposed to stand on its own, to elicit a gut level response. Go to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, and stand in front of Manet ‘s Waterlilies and try not to feel like someone punched you in the gut. That is what art is supposed to do. The more explanation a piece requires, the more of a failure the piece is. Besides, the main things a tattoo reveals about you is your pain tolerance and your aesthetic sensibilities.

I’ve seen so very, very many abortions that people refuse to acknowledge are bad ink because they’re so in love with the symbolism and so-called deeper meaning that they don’t realize a flash feathered armband doesn’t make them in touch with their Native American heritage four generations back on their grandmother’s side, it makes them an asshole.

By the way, you shake my hand, and all you get about me is that I like skulls, zombies, squids, and that I feel pretty.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ShinRa
Participant
@shinra

haha awesome thanks, its what i needed to hear

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

I’ve said it before. Most people agonize over the first one, maybe two, tattoos. Then, most of us learn that it is an aesthetic thing. As in, “hey I like the color in that” or “that design would flow with a previous piece that I’ve got” or “that’s fucking cool, I want it”

I get my tattoos for me. I like looking at them in the mirror. They don’t have to have any meaning whatsoever. I have my daughter’s initials on my back and a tribute to my grandmother on my ankle. But once again, those are for me. I don’t care if anyone asks me the meaning of my tattoos. I didn’t get them to impress anyone else. I especially didn’t get them for some deep symbolism.

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

I like symbolism in a tattoo. And in my experience a good tattoo artist can help you align what you want with asthetics and flow. But just remember, all the time you spend thinking about a tattoo could be time spent getting tattoos instead. After a while only being able to think about the next tattoo and not being able to get it gets really annoying.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The issue is simple put a lot of thought into what you want and which artist to execute it. That is because you want excellent art on your skin. There is no point in having the most complex meaning of a tattoo if it comes out looking like a black blob.

The deeper symbolisms are personal and a good artist can reflect these tastefully within the art itself but without overpowering the piece.

For example my backpiece ppl look at it and say cool art – which is the visual impact I want. I like to know that people enjoy looking at my ink as much as I do.

There is a stack of symbolism in mine but I rarely feel the need to explain the subtle details as the visual impact is enough and I know what those details are.

The dragon/tiger is obvious (struggle) but the reason there is a waterfall is it shows that as we struggle life rushes onwards. The temple on the cliffs is a symbol of my faith yes it anchors me but as with all things sometimes it can crumble and shake a little but is still anchored there.

It comes from Mene Mene ‘You are a rock’ qoute.

The geisha is actually symbolic of death – it is impersonal and sad event but always waiting the inevitable outcome (which is why she is at the bottom of the waterfall which is life’s end also I like good looking ladies).

The lotus blossom represents the onward spirit of those lost to me.

To actually explain all that in conversation to stranger would take forever (if you got this far) so it easier to say ‘Yes the art excited me!’ as afterall you will know what it means.

Also there is nothing wrong with having art just because you like it – a chest piece I would love is purely art aesethetics.

Hope that helps.

Take care
Matthew

ShinRa
Participant
@shinra

Thanks for the replys, this guided me back down the road i wanted to be on.

I wanted an aesthetic piece on my arm that could put me out of place of the ordinary. Not to get other peoples attention, but for myself. I have this weird attraction to the balance of colors, like White on Black or Green on Purple and redheads with green eyes :D. I pretty pale myself so just about anything would suffice as long as it was black or a dark color.

I’ve decided on getting a disease like image on my arm and half of my ribcage that looks like it spreading over my body. It just came to me pretty quick and I immediately liked the idea.

Stencil of the pattern id like, took 5mins in photoshopGeostigma.jpg

once again thanks for the replys

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
ontwo;60848 wrote:
I’ve said it before. Most people agonize over the first one, maybe two, tattoos. Then, most of us learn that it is an aesthetic thing. As in, “hey I like the color in that” or “that design would flow with a previous piece that I’ve got” or “that’s fucking cool, I want it”

I get my tattoos for me. I like looking at them in the mirror. They don’t have to have any meaning whatsoever. I have my daughter’s initials on my back and a tribute to my grandmother on my ankle. But once again, those are for me. I don’t care if anyone asks me the meaning of my tattoos. I didn’t get them to impress anyone else. I especially didn’t get them for some deep symbolism.

+1 on that! Mine don’t have to much meaning other than I think there cool. And in my book thats all that matters.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

i don’t think all tattoos need to mean something or tell a story. if your tattoo means something special to you, cool, but it’s okay to get one that means nothing at all.

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

I guess tattoos just looks cool, I mean you wont ask someone what does their sidelip represent, right?
or like… what does your make up tell about ya?
same with tattoos, some are just for the looks, some are thee for the meaning and some are just to make you feel better!
in example, after having mine ive got a lot more self confidence, i am more understanding and ive stopped judging people for getting tattoos
as always, some people like one piece more than the others, but all i care is… i love them all and i am NOT planning to stop!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.