poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Okay, I’ve got a bit of a strange question.

I’ve had my entire right arm, and the back of both my legs tattoed. Plus some smaller pieces here and there.
I live in Norway, a pretty fucking cold country. The climate does something with your skin. Right now it’s like -25 around here, you can imagine. Most girls I know have trouble with their skin during winter, causing a huuge need for bodylotions, etc. I’ve had this problem myself, mainly conserning dry skin and, uhm… *can’t find the english word* kinda tinytiny swellings where the hair sits on arms and legs. Anyone understand what I mean? Let’s hope so.

Anyho. The thing is; This is not a problem on the tattooed skin. NON whatsoever. I can seriuasly feel the difference on my arm, on the areas that are tattooed, and the small areas that are not. Oh, and I’ve got pretty much no hairgrowth whatsoever on the parts of my legs that are tattooed.

Strange things pop in to the head of a teenage girl… So, I guess it’s got something to do about the scarring from a tattoo, but things like dry skin mainly sits in the top layer of the skin, which renews itself every 30days or so. Maybe tattooing is really the answer to perfect skin? ๐Ÿ˜› I’m just wondering if anyone knows anything at all about this… :p

(and excuse my english. I haven’t been able to write on here for about two months or so, and haven’t been writing much english otherwise, I’ll be better soon ;P )

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

sounds like Seberia. I have it myself. altho nothing pops up on my tatts. Its a dry skin condition and if not kept moist, breaks out. Basically all you can do (other than taking meds – which I refuse to do b/c I’m on enough) is basically live with it and keep your skin moist with lotions.

Sorry,.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia
Blue1;60696 wrote:
sounds like Seberia. I have it myself. altho nothing pops up on my tatts. Its a dry skin condition and if not kept moist, breaks out. Basically all you can do (other than taking meds – which I refuse to do b/c I’m on enough) is basically live with it and keep your skin moist with lotions.

Sorry,.

Oh yeah, I know that ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s not a skin condition, it’s just because of the fucking weather around here ๐Ÿ˜› Pretty much all of Norway has it, trust me! It’s no big deal, just annoying when it gets really cold. (it’s not a problem at all when it’s warmer)

I’m just wondering about why it doesn’t happen with tattoos. ๐Ÿ™‚

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I’ve wondered about this myself. Surely if you fully sleeve an arm or something, you are in some way altering the physiology of your arm, no? Differences in skin breathing for example, having to go through the scar tissue? (I suck at biology so don’t yell if I’m saying something stupid :))

I’d actually love to hear Matthew’s take on this issue. I know of none more knowledgeable than he on tattooed skin.

Oh, and I thought you just meant goose-bumps… what everybody gets when they’re cold.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

yeah, I thought something like that myself.

goose-bumps, thats the word I was looking for! ๐Ÿ˜› Except, not quite like that. the kind that stays through the winter :p
During summer, nowhere to be found. Just mainly when the weather is going crazy.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Goosebumps that last all winter? Why in the name of all that’s holy are you living in such a frozen hell? If you got goosebumps all the time, I imagine your men’s balls must be a permanent shade of cobalt blue!

As for the rest, I don’t think tattoo ink really changes your skin. I still got goosebumps on my, and if I didn’t shave my ink, you’d never see it under all the hair. Hell, I have an annoying ugly rash like now on my zombie squid.

By Arni’s right–I’d like to here Lord Hull’s take on this shit.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Well to be honest there is no definitive answer as it varies according to the person who has been tattooed and their genetic heritage vs the environment that they are placed in.

Pale skin adapts better to cold weather rather than heat and the darker the pigment the better against the sun etc.

That said one of the common causes of red bumps on the tattoo area is a condition called granuloma this refers to the particular kind of cells that cause the reaction.

A foreign body reaction to pigment may cause raised red bumps at the site of the tattoo that are made up of epithelioid cells, lymphocytes and a few giant cells. Most commonly red, but also, green, blue and purple pigment tattoos have been associated with granulomatous reactions.

There is a split argument about whether scar tissue effects the transmission of cold sensation due to the fact the cold causes the blood vessels to constrict tightening the muscle area and stimulating the nerves.

Some state that ppl with extensive scar tissue suffer a limited loss of sensation to cold and has been noted with many having extensive tattooing.

The belief is that the skin surface has created a thickened layer of scar tissue of which the cold feeling takes longer to penetrate to the nerves as there is always an increased level of blood flow as the body is trying to flush the foreign object (pigment) so it takes longer for the blood to decrease in the area.

Others say this is total bollocks and that the skin sensation is not effected by scar tissue but is down to individual experience and many point to sufferers of heightened sensitivity/pain from scar tissue and the cold as an example.

I am no where near qualified to state which one is correct and can only put forward what the medical journals are saying which is indecisive or leans more towards no effect (depending on who you read).

Sorry cannot get more specific.

Take Care
Matthew

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Knighthawk; Hahaha, we do wear clothes too, you know :p So no, it’s not that bad ;P But yeah, if you go outside with too little clothes you could freeze to death.. Very possible. Well, I’m a little girl, so I don’t have too much hair to begin with ๐Ÿ˜›

Sherav; Alright, thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve never had any problems with my tattoos whatsoever, no red bumps there ๐Ÿ™‚ They heal amazingly well…
But your answer at least gave me something ^^ Maybe I should tattoo my face, without any ink, and get perfect skin? ๐Ÿ˜›

Revolution in skincare – get tattooed!

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

Makes perfect sense as always Matthew

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.