Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

Just wondering if black is a harder color to tattoo? Also I have a couple areas where the black is a little lighter in spots. My artist said that over time it will fill in. Does this make sense. I also heard that over time ink will bleed a bit, is this what hes talking about?

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

I’m not so sure about it evening out over time. Haven’t herard that one before. I do know it is hard when there is lots of black to fill in. Maybe Matthew will chime in on this one

Tecratt
Participant
@tecratt

How long have you had your tattoo?

If it is still healing it may have some dry or dead skin over parts that make it look lighter. This is normal while healing, and will look better once healed.

If the tattoo is fully healed then it shouldn’t be a problem to have it reworked.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

over a long time it would spread and prob fill in , but it sounds like you need a touch up to me

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

The tattoo isnt complete yet, I’m sure the last session will be to touch up anything needed

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Bdubbs

In answer to your question black is not harder to fill in than other pigments it is just more noticiable to the naked eye – especially when healing.

The way it works is that the needle deposits pockets of pigment deep into the outer skin just above the dermis (the internal lower level of skin).

When you first have it done the pockets of pigment are an open wound so you can see the ink very clearly as it is still oozing.

As it heals you get the pigment trapped by scar tissue that holds it in place. Fresh skin grows over the pigment (like misting a mirror) so when it is healed the black may not seem as bright.

This is because you are viewing it through several layers of skin over it as it has sealed. As black is an easier spectrum colour for the eye you will tend to notice the minor pockets where the pigment has not fully taken.

An experienced artist knows not to force ink into a wound and so touch-ups are often required. The key part is if the majority of the tattoo is filled and only very small points need touch-ups it is normal. If all the ink falls out the artist has done a very poor job.

As for spreading the body treats the pigment as a foreign body and uses scar tissue to stop it from entering the bloodstream (as it sees it as a dangerous) this is what locks the tattoo into the skin.

However your body will constantly for the rest of your life try to flush the tattoo pigment away by attacking the scar tissue – this causes the tattoo to blur and spread with age.

It just means that the lines of the tattoo will become less defined and leak a little as the scar tissue breaks down.

Much of this can be corrected by a reshade every 10-15 years or so.

Take Care
Matthew

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

great info there! thanks for the reply!

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

the other thing that nobody has mentioned is that during the healing process the area will become verry itchy, at this point it is easy to scratch it and pick off the scabs, unfortunately this can also pull out some ink with it, this can also cause the light patchy areas, if its caused by the artist not working enough ink into the skin at the correct depth then we tend to call them holidays …. post a photo up and let see

my main questions to you are
1. how long ago was the tattoo done ?
2. if during the healing process it started to it scratch or pick at it ??
3. when in time scale was the photo taken in comparison to when the tattoo was done (thats when you post a photo up of course)

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Outlaw;60652 wrote:
the other thing that nobody has mentioned is that during the healing process the area will become verry itchy, at this point it is easy to scratch it and pick off the scabs, unfortunately this can also pull out some ink with it, this can also cause the light patchy areas, if its caused by the artist not working enough ink into the skin at the correct depth then we tend to call them holidays …. post a photo up and let see

my main questions to you are
1. how long ago was the tattoo done ?
2. if during the healing process it started to it scratch or pick at it ??
3. when in time scale was the photo taken in comparison to when the tattoo was done (thats when you post a photo up of course)

The tattoo isnt fully done as it a full sleeve. work in progress. I NEVER pick at it, I give it a quick slap if it itches. I’m very picky and the spot isnt noticable to others unless there looking very close. I know my final session will be touch-ups so I’m not overly worried about it. My album has some picks of the ink so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.