VV11
Participant
@vv11

So, some background, so I don’t come off as another one of those tools who just gets the wrong Japanese words printed on them 🙂

I’m a grad student in Japanese Art History, and since I’ve started my studies there has been a single print that has really maintained my interest, “蛸と海女//Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife” by Hokusai. I’m fluent in Japanese, so not worried about any mistranslation with texts, should they be included.

I’ve been hoping to get either an exact replica, or something very clearly inspired by the image tattooed onto me for a while, but I’m not sure what I should look for in an artist. I have several tattoos already but they are primarily text and/or linework.

Because I’ll have a very specific, detailed image, should I look for someone’s technical skill, ie; color/line ect. Or should I look for someone who also has those skills, but also has a foundation in traditional Japanese aesthetics?

Advice is much appreciated 🙂

Cheers.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If you are fluent then the key part is finding an artist who can recreate the image to the fine detail you want. You will be looking at technical skills rather than their ability to translate.

However the artist will only put what you show them so be 100% on the stencil before you start.

If you can find an artist who is skilled in trad Japanese tattoos that is a bonus but depending on where you are could be quite rare.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.