risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker

I am planning to get a tattoo in march. I have sketched out my idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15550718@N06/4302379828/

Original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15550718@N06/4299051867/in/photostream/

It is in Hindi and it says Govind (a name of god).I want to get it done 6 by 3 inches on my shoulder blade.

I want to know how much it could cost, so i can prepare myself and any other advice for a newbie.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The price probably isn’t too steep, perhaps an hour or two, but for advice I recommend reading Sherav’s blog, especially the first chapters of his ebook. Check them here: http://sherav.wordpress.com/2009/06/page/2/

risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker
ArniVidar;59415 wrote:
The price probably isn’t too steep, perhaps an hour or two, but for advice I recommend reading Sherav’s blog, especially the first chapters of his ebook. Check them here: http://sherav.wordpress.com/2009/06/page/2/

Thanks, the ebook is very useful!

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

Take your artist a printout of the original and let them handle the design. The stencil should not take long given that its a simple tattoo. Tribal black with a drop shadow (for example) shouldnt take much longer than an hour plus set-up and design. Look at spending around $200 for a decent shop. That covers design and tattooing.
A good tattoo is not cheap, and a cheap tattoo is not good.

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

60 pounds an hour is about the going rate, that wont take any longer than 1 and a half hours, i realise what people say about a cheap tatt not being good, but if funds are a problem, and they wont stop being a problem for a long time, then cheap is still a tattoo, cant see how that could be messed up too bad. 1 and a half hours, 90-120 pounds, no problem.

risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker
Chief D;59449 wrote:
Take your artist a printout of the original and let them handle the design. The stencil should not take long given that its a simple tattoo. Tribal black with a drop shadow (for example) shouldnt take much longer than an hour plus set-up and design. Look at spending around $200 for a decent shop. That covers design and tattooing.
A good tattoo is not cheap, and a cheap tattoo is not good.

Thanks,

I have about $300 saved up for it now and i will continue to save money just to be on the save side. I will take original to the artist.

🙂

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i personally feel it might look nicer in the center of your back rather than to one side .

risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker
Butterfly_Kisses;59478 wrote:
i personally feel it might look nicer in the center of your back rather than to one side .

Thanks, I’ll think about that.

🙂

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

With an asymmetrical design…
I would personally go with your original placement idea.

But $100-200 for sure.

BUT!!!!
Remember to tip your artist handsomely…
If you decide to return to the shop, he/she will probably remember your generosity.

risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker
Jubakuba;59492 wrote:
With an asymmetrical design…
I would personally go with your original placement idea.

But $100-200 for sure.

BUT!!!!
Remember to tip your artist handsomely…
If you decide to return to the shop, he/she will probably remember your generosity.

How much would you typically tip the artist?

For the placement, I will also take suggestion from the artist.

Thanks,
Risk_Taker

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Like you do a waiter, is what I heard once…so 15-20%

I think I went a bit overboard…
$600 piece… 860
$100 piece… 150

But my artist loves me =]
I’m pretty sure I could go in; ask for ink, and get it done with no up-front cost if I really insisted on it.

risk_taker
Participant
@risk_taker
Jubakuba;59621 wrote:
Like you do a waiter, is what I heard once…so 15-20%

I think I went a bit overboard…
$600 piece… 860
$100 piece… 150

But my artist loves me =]
I’m pretty sure I could go in; ask for ink, and get it done with no up-front cost if I really insisted on it.

Thanks!
Risk_Taker

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.