Cephalotripsy
Participant
@cephalotripsy

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice, as I’m quite worried about my girlfriend’s tattoo. She got it done in July last year, and only now (I mean tonight) it’s started to swell and burn.

Here’s a picture of the tattoo:

347xytc.jpg

The eye and one of the heiroglyphics has become quite raised (visibly so), and she’s had no issues so far with it. Any ideas as to what it could be? I’d have presumed some sort of infection, but I’d rather take advice from someone who knows what they’re talking about than trust my own uneducated judgement.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. Is it worth taking her to the doctor, or is it nothing to worry about?

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77
KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Christ Biker, and they tell me I’m an asshole. I mean, this sorta question is the exact reason this forum exists.

Onto the subject at hand. Dude, if it’s been that long, the chances of it being an infection are pretty much nil. It’s done been healed. Period. I’d guess that it’s an allergic reaction to something completely unrelated to her tattoo, but if you’re really that worried, have her call the tattoo artist and ask him what’s up. It’s part of what you pay for.

Oh, and her tattoos only barely don’t suck. Barely.

Just sayin.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i would think its a irritation . sometimes prickly heat rash could set it off if she has scratched at it
it could have become raised :rolleyes:

Dewolf
Participant
@dewolf

One of my tattoos used to do that sometimes, until fairly recently, and I got it over 10 years ago. Bits of it would go kind of 3D just where the ink is. Opinions I had in the past were that the skin may have been a bit overworked (although why that would just cause occasional swelling I’m not sure) or that I was having a reaction to something else which may have cause a sort of secondary reaction to the ink. God knows if either of those theories is right but the main thing, if your girl friend’s reaction is similar to mine, is that it doesnโ€™t seem to do any harm, apart from being a bit itchy for a while. If itโ€™s really pissing her off try putting ice on it, or some taking some anti-histamine.:)

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

Dear Hell Biker…………geez

I’m thinking it is completely unrelated to the tattoo.

Did she change soaps, lotions, perfume, etc recently? When I switch to something new (if I have a reaction) a few of my tatts do this.

Take a antihistimine as Dewolf suggested and see if that helps.

Cephalotripsy
Participant
@cephalotripsy

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems to have gone down now. If it happens again I’ll make sure to see if anything is out of the ordinary that could cause a reaction.

Oh, and Biker… How do you think I found this forum? Just pulled a link out of my arse? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2
Cephalotripsy;59016 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems to have gone down now. If it happens again I’ll make sure to see if anything is out of the ordinary that could cause a reaction.

Oh, and Biker… How do you think I found this forum? Just pulled a link out of my arse? ๐Ÿ˜‰

LOL ๐Ÿ˜€

maybe bikers just in a stroppy mood today :rolleyes:

Cephalotripsy
Participant
@cephalotripsy
Butterfly_Kisses;59018 wrote:
LOL ๐Ÿ˜€

maybe bikers just in a stroppy mood today :rolleyes:

That’s adorable. :p

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Couple of things that can cause the irritation is heat/sweat that rubs against the skin as the tattoo is actually scar tissue so can be come inflamed quite easily.

The other is some pigments have trace metal elements (quite rare but depends on the make) which can become inflamed as the body is trying to flush the foreign body from your system.

Again it could be non-tattooed related and be a allergic reaction to chemicals used in soaps, perfumes etc.

My advice is always apply an ice pack to any swelling for as long as you can stand and if you have anti-imflammatories (ibruprofen) or anti-histamines (health allowing) try them.

If it continues for more than 24 hours or starts to blister, discolour, red streaks or bruising etc get straight to a doctor.

Also that tattoo is very nice and it don’t suck. It is just a matter of artistic taste and frankly mine rocks ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take Care
Matthew

Cephalotripsy
Participant
@cephalotripsy
Sherav;59093 wrote:
Hi

Couple of things that can cause the irritation is heat/sweat that rubs against the skin as the tattoo is actually scar tissue so can be come inflamed quite easily.

The other is some pigments have trace metal elements (quite rare but depends on the make) which can become inflamed as the body is trying to flush the foreign body from your system.

Again it could be non-tattooed related and be a allergic reaction to chemicals used in soaps, perfumes etc.

My advice is always apply an ice pack to any swelling for as long as you can stand and if you have anti-imflammatories (ibruprofen) or anti-histamines (health allowing) try them.

If it continues for more than 24 hours or starts to blister, discolour, red streaks or bruising etc get straight to a doctor.

Also that tattoo is very nice and it don’t suck. It is just a matter of artistic taste and frankly mine rocks ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take Care
Matthew

Thanks for the advice.

I just looked at that post on your blog about being a 10%er. It was magic. ๐Ÿ˜€

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

Christ Biker >_< just saw your google reference, incredibly annoying, you dont have to post when your on your period ๐Ÿ˜‰ anyway, what is she using on her tattoo? check its suitable for tattoos, it might be worth taking her to the doctor, or the tattooist see if he/she has any knowledge about it

Cephalotripsy
Participant
@cephalotripsy
Benjaminho;59144 wrote:
Christ Biker >_< just saw your google reference, incredibly annoying, you dont have to post when your on your period ๐Ÿ˜‰ anyway, what is she using on her tattoo? check its suitable for tattoos, it might be worth taking her to the doctor, or the tattooist see if he/she has any knowledge about it

Nothing a female wouldn’t regularly use (ie stuff I couldn’t even fathom). :p

It hasn’t swollen up since, so I think it was the heat.

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

good stuff ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.