z1ggy
Participant
@z1ggy

I have been wanting a nice Koi fish tattoo for some time now. I know that once my tax return comes, I will be able to afford it, but at this time I can’t. I know basically what I want, but I haven’t really found any pics online to show an artist. Is it wrong of me to go into the shop asking for the artist to sketch something based on what I tell him knowing that I won’t get the tattoo at this moment in time? I know I could just wait until I have the money, but the place I usually go to closed because they weren’t getting enough business. I really would not feel comfortable going to a place I never went before to get a big color tattoo done with out being 100% certain is it exactly what I want. Thank you

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Since a Koi is a relatively common tattoo, there should be examples of Koi in their portfolio. If there aren’t any, IMO you should find a different artist.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

Well most artist will NOT just sketch something up for you, and then hand it over so you can go anywhere to get inked. Some require a consultation and a downpayment, thus making sure you’ll come back.

z1ggy
Participant
@z1ggy
Bdubbs;56989 wrote:
Well most artist will NOT just sketch something up for you, and then hand it over so you can go anywhere to get inked. Some require a consultation and a downpayment, thus making sure you’ll come back.

Well yes that is true. I guess I am just concerned that I now have to find a new artist and I am nervous about getting something that I want to have a lot of nice detail and is so costly. My concerns are that I wouldn’t be happy with the design the artist comes up with. Is there any way to get a sort of “estimate” from an artist with out him actually spending much time on a drawing to give me a ball park on how much it will cost? Or is that not really a practical thing to do?

30Hz
Participant
@30hz
z1ggy;56990 wrote:
Well yes that is true. I guess I am just concerned that I now have to find a new artist and I am nervous about getting something that I want to have a lot of nice detail and is so costly. My concerns are that I wouldn’t be happy with the design the artist comes up with. Is there any way to get a sort of “estimate” from an artist with out him actually spending much time on a drawing to give me a ball park on how much it will cost? Or is that not really a practical thing to do?

I think that’s a lot to ask of them with the potential of not getting your business. I’d say your best bet is to look at the artists portfolio (whether it be online or in person), see if it gels with you and then ask what you want and a ballpark price.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

what is common is that they will spend some time with you asking what the ideas are in your head, they might scribble just a very rough concept of it up as your talking, then if all goes to plan and you say yes then they will draw it up properly as a presentation for you, they normally do take a drawing fee but it will be taken off the final price of your tattoo…. if you ask for a ball park figure then they might give a rough estimate of time it will take and then give you their hourly rate, large pieces are normally charged by the hour and not for the piece itself..

good luck with it and dont forget we want photo’s or even if you come up with some ideas then post them up if it helps to get advice on them 😉

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
z1ggy;56990 wrote:

I agree with what some others said. Check out artist portfolio, and see whos style you like. I searched around online. I came across an artist whos work I really liked. Hes now working on my second sleeve! During my consultation I give him my ideas, and he throws his ideas in there as well. I’ve never seen the actual drawing until my first scheduled appointment. Any changes I want to make, he could adjust.

I think normally clients go into shops, set on there ideas and what they want. I told my artist my theme or idea, and let him go to work. I trust my artist as I’ve seen his work, everything seems to flow and jive better, hes the pro, not me!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Some places won’t draw something up without a deposite.

But as others said, just browse through the artists portfolio.

LotusCordova
Participant
@lotuscordova

Just make sure YOU ARE UP FRONT. If you start talking it over, and he or she starts sketching it up even while conversing, and you then mention you want to get it in a few months….You will leave a bad impression. Just look at portfolios, and express some ideas. Let the artist know you are really looking for a artist to do this piece, and possibly more work in the future. I know I, or any of us at the shop I am at will take the time to talk it out, and maybe toss around some ideas. But not draw it up and give it to you. Just basic talk and skecthing.

Good luck!

z1ggy
Participant
@z1ggy

Thanks for the good advice! I did look at some artists work in their portfolios online and I am really impressed by this one guy’s work. I really would like to go in the shop and see more of his work and maybe talk to him about prices etc. I am thinking about color since it is Koi, but I have a pretty tan complexion since I am italian, and I don’t know if brighter colors would look all that great. I have been thinking about black and grey with some killer shading and maybe a small amount of color. I mentioned in the “intro yourself” of what I wanted, but incase you didn’t read it, basically I want it on my lower outside of my calf. It would have to be a decent size to get in all the detail, probably taking up a majority from my ankle to my knee. What do most talented artists charge by the hour for something this size? I don’t mind paying a lot for it if I can afford it because this will mean a lot to me, but I also don’t want to be over charged.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
z1ggy;57055 wrote:
Thanks for the good advice! I did look at some artists work in their portfolios online and I am really impressed by this one guy’s work. I really would like to go in the shop and see more of his work and maybe talk to him about prices etc. I am thinking about color since it is Koi, but I have a pretty tan complexion since I am italian, and I don’t know if brighter colors would look all that great. I have been thinking about black and grey with some killer shading and maybe a small amount of color. I mentioned in the “intro yourself” of what I wanted, but incase you didn’t read it, basically I want it on my lower outside of my calf. It would have to be a decent size to get in all the detail, probably taking up a majority from my ankle to my knee. What do most talented artists charge by the hour for something this size? I don’t mind paying a lot for it if I can afford it because this will mean a lot to me, but I also don’t want to be over charged.

sounds like your pretty open to colors. If you go and talk to that artist, you should ask his opinions as far as colors with your skin complexion. good luck 🙂

z1ggy
Participant
@z1ggy
Bdubbs;57063 wrote:
sounds like your pretty open to colors. If you go and talk to that artist, you should ask his opinions as far as colors with your skin complexion. good luck 🙂

I am open to color, I am just unsure how it will looks years from now. I went to the shop today , but the artist wasn’t there. I looked through his portfolio some more and it seems his best work on Koi fish is more black and gray. I am leaning towards mostly a black and gray tattoo with maybe some hints of color in there. They said they charge $150 an hour and I think what I vision in my mind will probably be a 3-4 hour job…so I really want to be confident in what I get.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
z1ggy;57069 wrote:
I am open to color, I am just unsure how it will looks years from now. I went to the shop today , but the artist wasn’t there. I looked through his portfolio some more and it seems his best work on Koi fish is more black and gray. I am leaning towards mostly a black and gray tattoo with maybe some hints of color in there. They said they charge $150 an hour and I think what I vision in my mind will probably be a 3-4 hour job…so I really want to be confident in what I get.

Thats what my artist charges as well, take your time and make sure you know what you want.

z1ggy
Participant
@z1ggy
Bdubbs;57078 wrote:
Thats what my artist charges as well, take your time and make sure you know what you want.

I am pretty set in what I want, but I am still debating on whether I want one or two Koi fish. Relationships are really important to me, and I wanted the Koi to sort of symbolize myself and future (hopefully) partner. It would let me carry good fortune and strength with me no matter where I go, but I don’t know if two of them would look good on my leg since its a smaller surface area compared to a chest or back. I want it to be really detailed and life like with some waves and flowers mixed in, but I’m unsure if I could fit all that in good quality just on my outer calf.

Mmildf
Participant
@mmildf

Hi

I gotta say that one koi fish(to me) looks alot better then having two crammed onto your outer calf. As far as doing black and grey have the koi and water B&G and say cherry blossoms done in color is a nice way to go. If your set on doing two you could consider doing the bottom half of your leg that way you will be sure to get all the detail in, but yet again this is all stuff to talk to an artist about after all they are the professionals. Hope you get what you want.

Cheers
Marcus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.