ChaosDani
Participant
@chaosdani

Back in September, I went and got myself on the wait list for an in-demand local artist (Don McDonald at Bodyworks in Pittsburgh). He said it would be about 6 months. I was really psyched. His portfolio is really solid. But now that I’ve had a couple months to think about it, I’m getting nervous.

Issue is that he specializes in biomech… REALLY specializes in biomech… it’s almost his whole portfolio. Thats all well and good i guess, but not my style.

I’ll be getting a realistic(ish) raven on my ribs. It’ll be my first, and its gonna be pretty big. I know it has potential to be badass if its done right.

I know my artist is putting out great work, but I’m afraid our styles won’t mesh.

So what do you think? Like I said, I’m on the wait list, and I’m not going to waste it, so I will end up getting a tattoo from Don. But should I do the big raven rib piece with him, or something else entirely (but not biomech)?

Here’s some of his work:
donwitch.jpg donbioarm.jpg

doncolorsleeve.jpg donangel.jpg

I threw in the burning witch and the angel because I love them, but most of his stuff is along the lines of the bio sleeves. A link to his portfolio if you’re interested:
http://www.bodyworks-tattoo.com/photo-gallery/?category&id=1

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

He has some amazing work thats for sure.

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

My tattooist had sleeves just like those, pretty awesome stuff, but like you its not my thing either.

Go for your original idea and I’m sure he won’t mind doing something different from his usual stuff. After all you are paying him and on a very long waiting list. He’ll be more than happy to do what you want.

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

He does beautiful work..

Same as Ming said..just talk with him, when your time comes up, and tell him your idea. A raven rib piece is gonna be a nice chunk of change done by a renound artist so I’m sure he will be willing to work with you to make your experience pleasant.

Besides, if he pisses you off, you can start bad mouthin his business then no one books him. Kinda of a win win..

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

Seeing pictures of his work, and checked out his website, I think whatever you decide on doing he’ll do an awsome job. Normally if the artist has a pretty long waiting list, that speaks for itself!

ChaosDani
Participant
@chaosdani

I know he’ll do a great job with whatever I choose to do. I’m not worried about the quality of his work. I dunno, I guess I’m just weighing my options. I just wasn’t sure that a raven (which is mostly black) is the right choice to do with an artist who is great with vivid color pieces.
I was worried about all the biomech because originally I was going for a photo-realistic bird, which is clearly not his style. But I thought about it a lot today, and I realized that it doesn’t really matter to me if its super-realistic.
I’ll probably end up sticking with my original plan, but just telling him to ramp up the color a bit and take whatever artistic liberties he wants to.
Hell, I’ve got lots of skin left to go wild with color.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.