Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

So as i was saying i want wind bars/waves around my current dragon tattoo – i decided to get a quote yesterday, and i was told it would be a massive 240 pounds (about $400) which i thought was unreally high… so today when i was with my friend, when he was getting his tatt done (at another place) i decided to ask .. just on the spur of the moment… How much would it be to get wind bars and waves around my dragon mate? and he said 120 pounds about.. $250 – whats up with the massive price change lol, its not like the cheaper guy is a bad artist, or a scratcher, its a big shop and ive saw his work and its awesome. Thanks GOD! i didnt go ahead and book the first quote.

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Some artists that I know live by the saying “Good tattoos aren’t cheap, cheap tattoos aren’t good” so they feel they can rape others wallets.

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

yeah i guess some wanna take advantage of people.. but its not like you can do that with wind bars :L theyre just WIND BARS haha

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

Yeah, I have a problem trying to negotiate a tattoo. Just tell me your no BS price. That is why I found an artist that I trust and pay by the hour. I highly recommend this approach. $250 doesn’t sound out of line. You’ve got at least a couple of hours work to do

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

yeah i reckon $250 is a GOOD price :p the bad one was $400…

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

Thats crazy, I have the same thing too in Kent one shop is about £50 an hr and the other is £80, the only difference is the bigger shop has nicer chairs lol. x

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

yeah! i know people say dont price check, but these are just literally bars and shading lol! – really disapointing when you find out someone is trying to take advantage of you

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

Yeh I know what you mean, Id like to think people become tattoo artists cos they enjoy it but some are definalty in it for money and do rip people off 🙁
x

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

yea well i guess this guy can just quote what he wants, cause theres no competition around, but still disapointing, oh well nevermind, atleast ive found a better guy now!

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

I’ve only haggled over a tattoo once. I had a simple, small piece that I wanted in memory of my dead grandmother. I took it to a shop. He said $80. I said no thanks and turned to leave. He said, “wait a minute, what do you think it’s worth?” I told him that I didn’t negotiate with someone who was about to alter my skin for life. But, that I was accustomed to paying $100/hr and I knew it was only about a half hr job. He said, “what about $60?” I said fair enough.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I think it is a variety of factors like anything that we buy.

Some artists do indeed hold a monopoly especially in smaller areas with few others within reasonable travelling distance.

Some may give a high price if they cannot be bothered to do the work and use that to discourage the customer (odd i know but it does happen).

Some genuinely feel their work is worth X regardless of what is being charged elsewhere.

Some may give mates rates or discounted if they really want to do a piece or they are excited about it.

My own artist could not really give me a fixed price due to the complex nature of the piece but was honest enough to give me a guestimate.

The key thing is you found a decent artist that is acceptable for the price you wanted to pay. I do not tend to haggle with tattoo artists but i am a very fussy bastard and if it means walking in 20 studios before i find the art I want at a price that is reasonable that is what I do. 🙂

Take Care
Matthew

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

well said :p i want to build a relationship with my tattooist so i can trust them to be good, and i thought i would with this guy but i wont be going back to him after that quote, sorry but 250 pounds for wind bars to be placed around my current tatt is shit, 4 hours my arse – the other guy said 120 pounds, and hes just as good looking at it, and has a bigger portfolio – just disapointing for this other guy to try and take me for a fool

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.