Frae
Participant
@frae

I would like to get some advice and tips on how to make the best possible design portfolio and how a potential apprentice should carry themselves when they walk into a tattoo shop or studio. If you guys have anything to say, I would be insanely grateful! 😀

I have some specific questions too.

I’ve been told that I need to present a portfolio that shows that I’m a creative thinker. A well as doing pieces that are original and unusual, is it also a good idea to include ideas and styles that are well known in tattooing to reinforce that you can do more “normal” designs as well as thinking outside the box?

How big should my portfolio be? (I figure 10-12 pages but I come from a different line of design) Should I do one-page full pieces and/or mix it up with a couple of pages of small designs?

What size of paper do you prefer to see? Something enormous like A1 to show up all the details or is it just a pain in the ass? Would A4 be too small, looking unprofessional or just handy enough for you to flip through?

Also, having been a designer, I know what you guys are like! I’m kinda worried about having my ideas ripped at this stage while I’m still naïve and vulnerable! heheh. Should I always leave a copy of my portfolio with the studio owner, use watermarks or always take my portfolio back with me? I don’t want to offend anyone but I also would like to know if I need to protect my work.

Has the recession made it the best or the worst time to take on an apprentice? Or has it made no difference? Saying that, I do know that most, if not all, apprentices are unpaid.

I’ve heard varying answers on how long an appreticeship lasts. I know it depends on the apprentice and the master, but I’d like to hear from you guys too and your experiences.

I’m going to assume that I will never-in-a-million-years be offered an apprenticeship on my first meeting, anywhere. I will be going back with new designs and showing my perseverance and determination to be a tattooist. A friend suggested that I could ask to come into the shop each week just to talk, ask questions and get to know the staff. Is this a good idea or does it come across a bit clingy or something?

I’ve done (currently working on and have a waiting list for) quite a few custom tattoo designs for friends and word of mouth has spread! YAY! Would these also be a good idea to put in my portfolio and talk about when I drop by? How about testimonials and photos of the finished tattoo? (I’ve never tattooed anyone in my life, I always tell them to see a professional tattooist and always ask questions and look through their portfolio)

I’ll stop there cause this is turning into an essay! Cheers guys!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

That was pretty long. Lol, I’ll try answering it as best as possible, but I forgot what it said already lol.

-Make your face known around a few shops that are have good reputation and are busy. Get to know a few people that work there, talk to them on Facebook/Myspace and stuff…. this is a great way to build a solid foundation to work from.

-Once you get known, mention that you want to get into the tattooing industry. Ask the tattoo artist that does some of your work for advice. Ask him to take a look at your art portfolio.

-As for your portfolio: Deff. make sure you have a wide variety of styles, and also have items that you think would translate well into a tattoo. I’ve seen many portfolios with GREAT artistic work, but a lot of them didn’t show any promise into the tattooing world.

-Size: Whatever works for your pieces. Don’t make it huge and obnoxious, but also don’t have it as a small picture book either.

-And yeah, if you drew some designs for friends tattoos… include the design and a picture of the tattoo. This will show your protential mentor that you have some decent artwork that will translate into tattoos.

Feel free to post pictures of some of your work, and we’ll give you some feed back!

-Biker

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

For a portfolio the key part is have it professionally presented. There is nothing worse than dragging in a few scraps of paper with drawings sketched on the back of a bus ticket etc.

Each piece should represent you as a professional so I would suggest A4 per piece (for ease of transportation).
They should also be mounted and sealed. If you have a small tattoo design such as say stars can use more than one per sheet but space them so that each stands out from the rest do not crowd the paper.

As for styles you need to cover the main areas of tattooing genres;

Tribal
Bio-mechanical
Dragons/Wizards (Fantasy)
Portrait both human and animal
Hearts, anchors (old/New school)
Stars (shooting, standard, nautical)
Skulls, Death

It would also help to get some ships, sugar skulls, and if you are able to graffiti.

Always copyright your material – if they like it enough to want to tattoo consider selling it as flash there is no shame in that.

You do not have to go into hundreds of designs but 20 pages is considered the max normally.

There is no good or bad time really as an apprenticeship is based on talent and can be as short as 12 mths to 5 years it depends on each artist and individual talent.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Take Care
Matthew

Frae
Participant
@frae

Thanks for the info chaps, much appreciated. I feel like I’m closer to landing an apprenticeship now!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77
Frae;55039 wrote:
Thanks for the info chaps, much appreciated. I feel like I’m closer to landing an apprenticeship now!

No problem!
That’s what we’re here for!

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

just gonna throw it in there… you know actually GETTING a tattoo by an artist is a very intimate thing, and you talk a LOT – this is a good way to build a relationship… just an idea

Frae
Participant
@frae
Benjaminho;55284 wrote:
just gonna throw it in there… you know actually GETTING a tattoo by an artist is a very intimate thing, and you talk a LOT – this is a good way to build a relationship… just an idea

Yes, good point, it is. Unfortunately I absolutely cannot afford to get another tattoo, let alone the 3/4 sleeves I want :rolleyes:

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

ahh i see, well some things are worth waiting for (harsh but true :P)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.