Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

f596d2c2.jpg

so this is my tatt. It’s in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades. I got it 7 yrs ago and now would like to add to it. But I’m lost for ideas. My biggest problem is the circle “rays” behind the cross. The artist actually “surprised” me and added this himself. I had no idea until he was done that he did.

So now I would like to add to it, but would like to fix those rays in the process. I’m not sure how to though… I’ve thought of maybe putting wings on either side… Maybe making those rays look like actual sun rays… Maybe also enlarge the cross somehow too. Please help give me some input! And if you’re up for it, I would reallly appreciate any pics of sketches, etc.

Thanks!!!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

How big is it approx?

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

It’s about 3.5 in tall x 2.75 in wide. I’ll have to take a full back shot later this evening to give a better idea of proportion. Thanks for the quick reply. I see you’re from pitts, pa – Go steelers!!

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Those measurments mean nothing to me, I’m from Europe(and to damn lazy to transform them in the middle of the night..), so sorry if my suggestions don’t make sense with the size ;p

but; The classy way to enlagren a cross, is to make a bigger one around it! Make it seem like the one you’ve already got, is a piece of the “decoration” of the cross. A friend of mine did that, turned out pretty great. Should solve your problem with the rays as well, as they can be worked into a bigger cross. Gives you the oppertunity to add other stuff to it as well, without thinking about it crashing with your current design.

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

Ok. So here’s my back for ya.

IMG_2521.jpg

Also, here’s an idea that I’m trying to possibly use.

Picture042.jpg

Here’s an idea from a friend – although I kinda like the wrap around wings better

Picture105.jpg

I’m still not sure about the whole wing thing. All input appreciated!!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Yeah, you could go with adding a bigger cross around it.

The original one could be like a pendant or something inside the cross-sections of the larger cross, and you can incorporate wings around it to make it a huge piece.

Lol, why’d you go so small?

Vakyrja
Participant
@vakyrja

The problem is that it’s too high up, wrap-around wings like in that example tattoo would end up in your neck. Here’s a very quick sketch of what I would do to cover up the rays with wings:

cross2.jpg

Of course you can alter the size of them, make them spread out over your shoulders or droop like the ones in your example picture. The idea is just to connect the wings to the cross on the lowest leg, then transform the rays into the “arms” of the wings. I can draw up a few other wing positions too if you want.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Good work there Vakyrja 🙂

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

Wow! I like what you did with that quick sketch! I definitely would be interested in your other quick sketches too. From your sketch – it almost looks like you could wrap those around the bottom possibly?

Also, if you would think of making the cross bigger – how would you add to it?

And do you have any specific ways other than wings that you might consider adding around the cross to cover the rays?

Thanks again!!!

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

WOW Vakyrja thats a pretty good drawing on there.

You could always go for dark vines and leaves and have them wrapping around the cross and covering up the rays x

Vakyrja
Participant
@vakyrja

Heehee, thanks for the compliments 🙂

I don’t really see many options to mask those rays other than wings, or maybe vines as miss_ivy suggested. Or a crown of thorns. You could have two snakes wrapped around the cross, but that would be kind of a contrast (with snakes being evil in the Bible) and I don’t know if that’s something you want 😛
What do you mean with wrapping them around the bottom?

Some more wings and a crown-of-thorns:
Droopy wings (I personally like this one best)
– Spread across shoulders one and two
Crown of thorns

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

Whoa!!! I really like the “droopy wings”. That’s what I was meaning when I said “wrap around the bottom of the cross”. I think you may have helped make up my mind.

Man.. That is crazy to see my back with those different options. That makes things sooo much easier to help decide.

Thanks so much again! If you come up with more ideas or different versions of the droopy wings, I’m definitely interested. Awesome!!

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

id cover it up. its not a great tattoo and its a tad pewny for a guy .

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

it may not be the greatest, but I’m not interested in a cover. Thanks for your input anyway.

Anybody else?

I’m settled on the wrap around wings. I still think I would like to add the cross itself now too. Any ideas about this? Thanks again guys! you’ve helped out a ton

Hefner413
Participant
@hefner413

Well, the local shop did a couple sketches. I’m not really that satisfied with either. I probably like Vakyrja’s “droopy wings” sketch better. They did add to the crosses in a couple different ways.

dave1.jpg

dave2.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.