vaggerbond
Participant
@vaggerbond

Hey I haven’t posted on here for a while! After much thought I decided to wait until next year to get my first tattoo due to many reason including lack of funds at the moment! (I’m a Student….)

I was just wondering if it was general practice for me to ask to look at previous work of a tattoo artist in a shop?

Thanks for your time!
Jessie

Burner
Participant
@burner

Definitely!! Before you get inked ask to see the artists portfolio! If they are cagey or tell you no, then they probably haven’t got a very good reputation.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

alot of artists have their work posted online as well.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

There’s nothing wrong with waiting to get a tattoo at all 🙂
Checking the artists portfolio is a must, there’s no ‘tattooing license’ where you have to prove your quality of work to be a tattooist. You may find that different artists have different tastes in what they like to tattoo – the one I go to loves to do Japanese stuff, and turns most people wanting tribal down hahaha 🙂

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Yeah, see if they’re on Myspace or if they have their own website. That’s the easiest way to browse their portfolios.

And when customers ask for their portfolio, the artist gets a general impression about the client that they actually CARE about what’s going on their body.

Usually they have them on display right in front of the store, but just go into the shop and ask!

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

I have portfolios of my work for people to view on a table in my studio, i also have it in my tattoo room all over the walls and also on my website, i would never consider getting a tattoo without seeing previous work, but ive found the best is word of mouth also, i get alot of clientele from people whom have had a tattoo from me and then referred their friends.

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

Most of the places I have gone to have work up on the wall, most have websites now too! x

vaggerbond
Participant
@vaggerbond

Thanks for the replies guys!

I only ask because there is a new local shop that has just opened and i’m looking to go in and ask them.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

no problem with asking to see a artists portfolio at all.
if they dont want to show you any of there work dont get a tattoo done by them :rolleyes:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.