Unkn0wnGuy
Participant
@unkn0wnguy

Hi folks!

I got a tattoo two weeks ago (two weeks tomorrow that is) and my skin has some scabbing and it has started flaking. My question is: Is it safe for me to play hockey? This requires me to wear knee pads and it will involve some sweating. Should I wait another week or will it be ok?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks you!

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

rubbing would be a bigger problem than sweating i think .

Unkn0wnGuy
Participant
@unkn0wnguy
Butterfly_Kisses;51889 wrote:
rubbing would be a bigger problem than sweating i think .

Thank you for your response, Butterfly_Kisses! You are absolutely right, which is why I’m not sure if it is a good idea to play or not. I can put one of those tenser wrap/bandage on it which would most likely keep it from rubbing against the knee pad. But I guess the question is if some of the scabbing came off, considering that it has been a couple of weeks, would it do any damage to the health of the tattoo?

Thanks!

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

After two weeks it’s very unlikely that the rubbing will hurt the health of your tattoo. It’ll most likely just bug the ever loving shit out of you.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

trouble is KH someone i know’s foot tattoo rubbed alot and that was after a few weeks .
thats why i decided to wait till spring for my leg/foot tattoo .

how heavily scabbed is it still ??

Unkn0wnGuy
Participant
@unkn0wnguy

Thank you all for your responses. I wouldn’t say it’s heavily scabbed, but there is a thin layer of scap on my skin… I would say over about 70-80% of the tattoo. Parts of it are flaking off if you know what I mean. The tattoo area does not have any pain nor is there any red areas. The tattoo is all black so it’s even hard to see the scabbing except for where it’s flaking, or if you actually touch it.

Wicked Ink
Participant
@wicked-ink

Well if the tattoo has “scabbed” and started peeling that means the risk for infection is nearly gone. The scabs are your body’s natural bandage protecting it from harm. One thing i would worry about it pulling or rubbing off the “scabs” too prematurely. Because even if it doesnt look like it would affect it sometimes those scabs can pull a bit of ink from the tattoo. Thats the biggest risk you run though. hope this helps

Louise Taylor
Participant
@louise-taylor

I wouldn’t worry too much. Like everyone is saying, if a scab gets pulled off, all that may happen is a bit of ink coming out, but most tattooist will give you a free re-colour within reason (if the tattoo loses a bit of colour due to normal wear and tear). If you’re worried, but a thin layer of vasaline on it, and cover it in cling-film.

And next time you get a tattoo, leave it to breathe with just a thin layer of vas on it until you go to bed the day you have it, then wrap it in cling-film. The next morning take the film off, and clean with warm water. The tattoo will look like you just had it done that second. Then leave it to heal, just using vas to stop it getting dry. This method ensures it will heal quicker, with less scabbing and less loss of ink.

Hope that helps.

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming
Louise Taylor;52358 wrote:
I wouldn’t worry too much. Like everyone is saying, if a scab gets pulled off, all that may happen is a bit of ink coming out, but most tattooist will give you a free re-colour within reason (if the tattoo loses a bit of colour due to normal wear and tear). If you’re worried, but a thin layer of vasaline on it, and cover it in cling-film.

And next time you get a tattoo, leave it to breathe with just a thin layer of vas on it until you go to bed the day you have it, then wrap it in cling-film. The next morning take the film off, and clean with warm water. The tattoo will look like you just had it done that second. Then leave it to heal, just using vas to stop it getting dry. This method ensures it will heal quicker, with less scabbing and less loss of ink.

Hope that helps.

I asked my tattooist if I should use vaseline and he said he wouldn’t recommend it, instead I should use Bepanthan, which works great btw.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The most common advice I’ve ever seen and heard, both here and other places, is never use Vaseline products on tats.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

I agree Arni, it’s because it’s petroleum based, not good for tattoos.

alanw58
Participant
@alanw58

You could try clingfilming it, putting on your sock & pads then see whether it causes any trouble. The clingfilm should mean that there’ll be no rubbing and the sweating (as already suggested) shouldn’t matter really.

Bepanthen is definitely the cream to use – no irritation, allows the tat to breathe & keeps it moist at the same time – grand stuff 🙂

Louise Taylor
Participant
@louise-taylor

Well, I’ve got 7 tats, and my partner has been tattooing for 14 years, and he only uses vasaline. It doesn’t sink in and provides a barrier to protect the wound (‘cos that’s what a tat is until it’s healed) from dirt. I have known a few tattooist, and it’s mostly the newer ones who are anti-vas. Most of the expensive tattoo balms work just the same, or worse.

Though Bapanthan and prep H both also work fine.

Know gonna get slammed, but that’s what’s always worked for mine, and they are all perfect.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.