rockdrummer
Participant
@rockdrummer

Im thinking of getting a full sleeve on my left arm and I love the Japanese style. My only problem is, I dont really know what else to include other than sort of what’s pictured below. I know about the koi fish, dragons, samurai, geisha, etc., but I feel those are overdone.
No offense if you like those or have one yourself, I really like them, Im just looking for something different.

Any suggestions of something out there that’s either traditional Japanese or would fit in well with that style?

Im thinking of basing off this idea (maybe not those exact flowers but something like that):
3540366235_a438403a91.jpg

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

you dont see many japanese monk tattoos as much as the others 😀

LiquidCarbon
Participant
@liquidcarbon

Hi
Im currently trying to come up with a plan for a japanese themed sleeve myself.

What about a google image search for japanese history and see what comes up, there’s a lot traditional art which contains some really cool stuff which you dont often see in tattoos. Or what about using the blossoms to form shapes/images?

Just a couple of ideas!
Good luck, hopefully in a few months we can compare finished arms!

rockdrummer
Participant
@rockdrummer

Thanks LiquidCarbon. Unfortunately I’ve looked all over YouTube and google at every Japanese tattoo and never found a whole lot. But I do like the idea of blossoms forming shapes. I think I may be able to come up with something off that. Thanks again!

Any other suggestions?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

You could have the demons and demi-gods of Japanese mythology.
There are several many of which are tied to the elements.

Take Care
Matthew

LiquidCarbon
Participant
@liquidcarbon
rockdrummer;51816 wrote:
Thanks LiquidCarbon. Unfortunately I’ve looked all over YouTube and google at every Japanese tattoo and never found a whole lot. But I do like the idea of blossoms forming shapes. I think I may be able to come up with something off that. Thanks again!

Any other suggestions?

Hi,
Glad you like the blossom idea. When you’re searching google, are you just looking at actual tattoos? I’ve found more inspiration looking at artwork and pictures as well. Also have you had considered maybe combining some of the more modern japanese styles of art/design

These are a few different pics showing the different styles Ive been looking at. If you want a few more PM with your email address and Ill send you more of what Ive found.

tra1995.0062.jpg

3927529962_394752f1d6.jpg

lloyd01.jpg

rockdrummer
Participant
@rockdrummer

I looked at some artwork a while back but not a whole lot so I guess I’ll give that a shot again. Thanks for the pictures they’re definitely very intersedting and I would like to see more so I sent you my email.

Thanks so much again for the help LC!

Jez
Participant
@jez

I hear you, OP. There’s so much more out there than Koi fish and dragons when it comes to traditional Japanese style tattooing. Not that I mind them either, you see some real beautiful ones out there. I’m also in the process o designing a japanese full sleeve too. Here’s a good link if you’d like images and descriptions of less common mythical creatures from Japanese folklore.;)

PsychoticInk
Participant
@psychoticink

I have done some Japaneese designs in which I would take out the ideas of the Koi, Samuri, and dragons. In their place I would incorperate items from Japan such as Bambo, cherry blossums, I have even incorperated the Japaneese flag. Its just more ideas.

Aero_Dave
Participant
@aero_dave

Take a peek at my photo album. I have a full Japanese sleeve (right) and I have a pagoda on my right forearm, I also have Hokusai’s ‘The Great Wave’ on my right inside bi-cept and lot’s of Cherry Blossums for fill-ins. But I also have a Dragon, a Samurai & a Geisha too. Maybe you can add some Japanese birds into your sleeve. I’ve seen some really nice flowers, like the Iris, Louts, Chrysanthemum, etc..
This is kind of cool

hok-bird%20Japanese%20Art.jpg

Good Luck,
Dave…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.