brandontw
Participant
@brandontw

So a tiny bit of background on me first. I’m a big guy, 6’6″ 230 lbs, white as can be… haha.

I don’t currently have any tattoos, but I’ve been thinking about one along these lines for quite a long while now.

I have a few criteria that must be met for my first tattoo…

1. Fairly large (go big or go home i guess)
2. Only black ink.
3. I really want it to be something i designed and drew, I’m not a great artist, but i have my moments i think.
4. I want it to be fairly artistic and meaningful to who i am and what i believe in.
5. I don’t want it to be cliche’ or tacky or anything like that, so if you think my designs are either of those, please be honest and make a suggestion to change it.

Other than that… here is the idea… its sort of a different stylized take on the tree of life concept… it would be about the size of a regular letter size piece of paper i think, the roots would be on my bicep then the rest of the tree would continue up my arm and up onto my shoulder, and it would wrap a fair bit around both my arm and my shoulder where the tree gets wide at the top and bottom…

Here is my concern: with the bold lines and tribal look, I’m afraid it might be mistaken for a classic tribal band type of thing, which is not really what i’m looking for…

Sorry for the bad pics… cell phone. I like the one with the leaves better than the one with the curls- i’m working on the next iteration of that right now.

design1.jpg

design2.jpg

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

ok 3 things !

1st
i hope by you saying your as white as can be you mean your the colour of milk and not that you have any racist views because that wont fly well here .
we have a good mix of people here !!

2nd
i like the design idea but i would get your tattooist to tidy it up for you !

and 3rd
i personally think it would work better as a back or rib tattoo .
if the tree wraps around you to much it will not look like a tree and will just look like an average piece of tribal

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi and welcome

To translate the tree to tattoo (which will work very nicely) you will need to enlarge the leaves to stop them from becoming ink blobs in years to come.

Also that piece will not sit well on an arm – unless you have huge arms – as it will look tribal-esque in appearance.
My other suggestion is entwine the trunks a little more to give them more of a celtic feel it will look a lot better.

Take Care
Matthew

JamesRussom
Participant
@jamesrussom

I agree with the posts above…….. needs to be rendered into tattoo form to follow the lines of your body where ever you get it.

brandontw
Participant
@brandontw
Butterfly_Kisses;49986 wrote:
ok 3 things !

1st
i hope by you saying your as white as can be you mean your the colour of milk and not that you have any racist views because that wont fly well here .
we have a good mix of people here !!

2nd
i like the design idea but i would get your tattooist to tidy it up for you !

and 3rd
i personally think it would work better as a back or rib tattoo .
if the tree wraps around you to much it will not look like a tree and will just look like an average piece of tribal

Of course i’m not being racist… im the most un-racist person you’ll ever meet, i was just giving you an idea of my skin color…

These are just preliminary sketches, each one was just drawn in 15 minutes or so, so i would probably tidy it up a bit, then have the tattoo artist do the same…

Good call on it not looking like a tree if it wraps too much… i hadn’t really considered that. I could consider getting it on my back or side… i guess i liked the idea of my arm because it might get to peak out from under a t-shirt once in a while… i really don’t go totally shirtless all that often.

Thanks for the input!

Sherav;49990 wrote:
Hi and welcome

To translate the tree to tattoo (which will work very nicely) you will need to enlarge the leaves to stop them from becoming ink blobs in years to come.

Also that piece will not sit well on an arm – unless you have huge arms – as it will look tribal-esque in appearance.
My other suggestion is entwine the trunks a little more to give them more of a celtic feel it will look a lot better.

Take Care
Matthew

Again thanks for the input…

What about if i reduced the size a bit so that it would fit on my arm? Would it still come off as tribal looking you think? would it be as cool a bit smaller?

Good call on tangling the roots a bit more… i’ll try that in some of my next sketches.

As for the leaves being ink blobs… thats really what they are… they arent really leaf shaped… they are just the suggestion of leaves. i’ll try going a little bigger with them maybe.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i think i would not have it all black , some guy here had a tree tattoo done which was dark black and browns and it looked real nice .
try looking for it using search .

brandontw
Participant
@brandontw
Butterfly_Kisses;50006 wrote:
i think i would not have it all black , some guy here had a tree tattoo done which was dark black and browns and it looked real nice .
try looking for it using search .

I don’t mind the idea of going brown or something, it might be not as “in-your face” then…

I am attached to the idea of all one color though for some reason. I just want to keep it a clean, simple piece of art….

Here is another drawing i did earlier today, it hasn’t incorporated any of your suggestions because it was pretty much done before i got them… but here it is. I’m not sure i like it as much as the other one, its a bit too predictable or something… I dunno.

this one was scanned instead of taken with a cell phone… looks quite a bit better i’d say….

UntitledLarge.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

To me, the ‘leaves’ look like those cartoon ants or fleas you see in Tom & Jerry and such. Basically, like a tree covered in animated lice. Just my 2cents.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.