killadore
Participant
@killadore

Hey guys, I’ve got this question I’m hoping someone can help me out with.
I’m about to design a tattoo for someone who wants an original design done especially for them, but I’m not the tattoo artist, I’m only gonna do the design. The problem is I don’t know what to charge her. Anyone who knows what an original design would cost? It’s about 15centimetres, a quite complex and detailed design of a pattern.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, didn’t know where else to post my question…:rolleyes:

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

hi,
do you draw designs for a living ? not all drawings work as a tattoo .
if she was here i would tell her to get her chosen artist to do a design for her . :rolleyes:

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Butterfly_Kisses;49865 wrote:
not all drawings work as a tattoo .

Especially if they are “quite complex and detailed”.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

you are either a friend of theirs which you would do it for free as your not a tattoo artist, or your doing it as a business and you shouldnt be doing it if you dont know what to charge…

work it out on time scale….. see how long it takes and multiply it be how much per hour you think your time is worth to them…

basically if you aint a tattoo artist then knowing what would and what would not work for a good tattoo is going to be your downfall, just tell them to go see their artist

Joker1
Participant
@joker1
Outlaw;49922 wrote:
you are either a friend of theirs which you would do it for free as your not a tattoo artist, or your doing it as a business and you shouldnt be doing it if you dont know what to charge…

Spot on, if I could draw, and was designing something for a friend, the most I’d charge is a couple beers to share

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It really depends on the design you could do it as a set price or as a job by the hour.

I would say have a look at similar graphic design qoutes if you intend to charge or work out something with the customer.

You can always barter.

Take Care
Matthew

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill

There is no right or wrong answer. Your art is worth what you think your art is worth. If you design an original piece of art, you set the price based on what you want for it. Period. There is no scale out there to determine what to charge for drawing. Jeez, people today splash paint on a canvass in absolutely random ways and sell them for millions. Other people painstakingly detail ultra-realistic paintings that take weeks to complete and are so awe-inspiring as to get you lost in them and they are lucky to sell anything.

Some artists sell flash for $10-$20 a page, some give it away for free. Some draw for the fun of drawing, some draw for the challenge of creating, some draw because its what they do and who they are. How can you tell each of those people what their time is worth?

Everyone is right though. If you are not a tattoo artist, chances are good you won’t have any idea of what will or will not work as a tattoo.

JamesRussom
Participant
@jamesrussom

Seems like a silly question are you planning on doing the tattoo also? This site seems to have alot subjects on what should I do if I stuff?

Its simple let the artist do the work because its in his job skills and if your artist cant produce it.Find a decent artist that can.Maybe your friend will thank you not black your eye over it,lol.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.