coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

Hi guys and girls just a question i had a coverup tatt started 2 weeks ago and went back today for the next sitting the outline was done with some shading on first sitting and i was supposed to get it finished today my artist was late for the appointment and he rang up the shop and his assistant was told to look at my tatt she looked told him that it has a little silverskin then finished the phonecall. she then said he told her that he cant finish the tatt if i have silverskin so i left the shop a little p**sed off as id taken the day off work for the appointment and he didnt even show up is he right about the silverskin
    thankyou all for any advice:(

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

hmm silver skin , i take it they was talking about how when your tattoo is 1st healing it has a shiny texture to it for a couple of weeks . if he was going to work in the same area i think its for the best waiting at least another week.

if you can upload a close up photo of your tattoo

coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

hi butterfly yes its the horrid silvery layer of skin the last stage i believe in the healing process, i have 3 other tatts and its never happened before whats the best way of getting rid ive used moisturiser and goo to their instructions and not picked rubbed it. i would load a pic but i dont have a camera at mo. my wife has the grand total of 12 tatts and she heals almost overnight she had a large one on her back last week and its completly healed. the lucky cow

Injun
    Participant
    @injun

There really is no way to getting rid of the silverskin. You just need to let it heal. When healed, no more silverskin, and you will be able to go back for more work.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Never heard of the term silverskin before – but I know what you mean the shiny healing stage of the tattoo

I can assure you its very normal – give it at least 2 weeks before getting any work done in the same area – personally I would wait 1 whole month

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

if you are having more work done upto the edge of where the fist sitting aws then it will be ok now, if its the same area as the first sitting then wait at least 4 wks… it might seem healed just by looking at it, but the skin layers beneath the top ones are still healing for upto 6 weeks after the work was done

coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

hi Outlaw yes the work is only upto the edge of the outline i see no reason the artist would have to go over the work already done its just a case of filling in with black and grey shading as its a black and grey tattoo this is whats puzzling me unless its some artists thing as to why he doesnt want to go near it yet

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

mines healing the same its normal .

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Hey, Coolbreeze,

As Outlaw said a tattoo takes 4-6 weeks to completely heal, regardless of how it looks. It might not look like its still healing but it is. Your body heals from the outside in. First it seals the wound, then you grow new skin over the wound. This new skin is usually shiny and sometimes puckered, it is usually but not always accompanied by peeling, kind of like a sun burn. For the next three weeks or so it is healing underneath, building epidermal tissue. Once it is completely healed it levels out and smooths out and your true color can be seen.

Different artist approach things in different ways. Like Outlaw said, if you are not going over an area that has already been worked, you should be able to work on it after a couple weeks. If you have to go over an area where you previously worked then you need to wait.

However, keep in mind that as your tattoo heals your entire body’s defenses are focused on the tattoo. In other words if you hit the area again you can send your body’s healing process into overdrive creating what we call “Tattoo Fever” which I have personally suffered from and I promise you it is no fun. Its like the flu on overdrive.

Yes it is inconvienient, yes you might have been able to get the work done, yes your artist was inconsiderate by not even showing up, he should have told you from the start to wait a month. But he isn’t out of line for wanting to wait.

coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

Thanks for that ive booked into the studio in a couple of weeks hopefully it will have healed enough to go through the second sitting and once its done i’ll borrow a camera and take pics of what ive got.
    Thanks again for the advice guy’s keep on inkin

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

cool look forward to seeing your tattoo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.