FuzzyLou
    Participant
    @fuzzylou

Posted this in the wrong section originally – sorry. Argh!

I’m sure this has probably been asked before – sorry to be repetitive, new member and all that jazz.

Basically I would absolutely LOVE to get into the tattooing business, I’m not really bothered about being an actual artist straight away, I’m only 20 anyway so I doubt it would happen for a while, I’d be quite happy to just be an apprentice and to learn while working in the environment of a tattoo shop.
    I’ve studied Art/Illustration so I’m experienced when it comes to making images professionally and drawing, however I realize the practice of tattooing itself is quite different and that there are things to learn when it comes to hygiene and practice, just wondered how?, I’m basically totally in the dark when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or would share their experiences with me?

Thanks.

Otpuskayem
    Participant
    @otpuskayem

Hello. =) I don’t think we’re allowed to discuss techniques/practices on this forum unless you are a professional tattoo artist with proof, and then you can only do it on the professional forums. So I’ll just say your best bet is to get an apprenticeship or ask around at some tattoo shops in your area.

FuzzyLou
    Participant
    @fuzzylou

Oh, I actually didn’t realize that there were apprenticeships for tattooing!, that’s really interesting, I’ll have a look on the old internet and do some research.

Didn’t realize that was a rule either, oops.

Thanks a lot anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

Otpuskayem
    Participant
    @otpuskayem

Yes, the most respected way to become a tattoo artist is to get an apprenticeship at a shop (preferably a reputable one) and learn to in’s and out’s there. Most artists do not think highly of people who learn by practicing out of their houses and putting crappy / unsanitary tattoos on people.

BIKERinBLACK77
    Participant
    @bikerinblack77

Apprenticeship,apprenticeship, APPRENTICESHIP!!!!
    Just start asking around, the worst thing that will happen is someone will just say “no, we’re not looking right now”. I had to ask at about 4 shops before I got on my piercing apprenticeship.

FuzzyLou
    Participant
    @fuzzylou
    BIKERinBLACK77;46464 wrote:
    Apprenticeship,apprenticeship, APPRENTICESHIP!!!!
    Just start asking around, the worst thing that will happen is someone will just say “no, we’re not looking right now”. I had to ask at about 4 shops before I got on my piercing apprenticeship.

Ahh, in that case I’ll visit a few of the well known and reputable tattoo shops in my area, possibly give them a call, an apprenticeship sounds really enjoyable.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

you want a sketch book full of your own original drawings ( not copied ) to show you have drawing skills or most artist will not take you seriously ๐Ÿ˜‰

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

And as someone (Sherav?) stated in here before, make sure that the drawings in the book are mostly of actual things. Show skill in making perfect illustrations of things of which they can be compared with. Art is all good and well, but I’d rather have a square and exceptionally accurate and good tattooist than an artsy but less exceptional one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.