jasoncol
    Participant
    @jasoncol

Hi guys how are u all , I just joined ( put a post in the introduction area) so wanted to ask your advise on something . i have got a fair bit of black work done ( its tribal but im not from a tribe so its blackwork for me) down one arm , i got it about 2 years ago it has held its colour ( if i can say that ) i mean it has not faded much as i did proper aftercare and have been looking after it ( no excess sun and that ) but being two years old has sort of faded slightly, now the thing is i am going next week to an artist to get some more black done and was wondering how will he go about matching the new black to the old black ( that proberly sounds stupid ) but you guys know what i mean, will the new black settle down after the first couple of months or will the artist have to water the new black down so to speak to match the two blacks so they look the same, any advise or info is greatly appreciated as i,m sort of stressing out hope u guys can help , take it easy

jay

BIKERinBLACK77
    Participant
    @bikerinblack77

I think I’ll leave this one for Sherav to answer. He’d have a more in-depth answer.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Jay

The quick answer is no the two will not be exactly the same colour and the newer tattoo may have a slightly different shade of black than the rework.

That said it could be negligible to the naked eye on contrast or it could be slightly noticiable to very noticiable it all depends on the health of your skin and the quality of the ink used.

Because it is black and the way that the human eye handles colour it should be fine. 🙂

I have seen many black on black reworks and once settled many of them were indistinguishable from ‘new’ black ink tatts. These were done by pro’s though.

I have seen ones done by non-pros and the work made the ink look patchy – see below.

The long answer is that on your old tattoo you will be adding fresh pigment over the old pigment which is held in the skin by scar tissue.

As your body is constantly trying to flush the pigment away by breaking down the scar tissue walls over a period of years the ink lightens/fades or can begin to blur.

By adding fresh ink you are creating pockets of new scar tissue above the old that should normally mask the one below as long as;

1. The colour is darker than the orig ink used (black on black is normally fine)

2. The entire area is covered with fresh pigment. If it is not done entirely you may have patches of old ink showing through and it becomes very noticiable.

If you don’t get a pro to do it a newbie my struggle to get the ink to take over old scar tissue (your old tattoo) this can lead to ink flushes and blow outs.

Take care
    Matthew

jasoncol
    Participant
    @jasoncol

thanks heaps thats some good info im not actually going over the old tatt the artist is going to just add some black to the shaded areas to fix the shitty shading job. i am going to a good artist so hopefully will be right , the ” old ” tattoo is still pretty dark as he did a good job and is solid as ,( different guy did the shading ) I looked after it really well while it was healing , its just that as you would no dought know that with time it has slightly dulled a bit and was concerned that it would be really noticable, so im a bit more confident now after reading your post

cheers

jay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.