hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

Hey whats up guys? So Im 17, and planning on getting a tattoo when I turn 18 in a couple months. Ive already found an artist and put a deposit down for my appointment. The idea Ive had for awhile is: a good sized cross, with clouds above it, and sun rays shining through the clouds onto the cross (but no sun actually in the tattoo). I then want my mothers initials on each side of the cross, with roses some how incorporated. And I want all this in black and grey, on my upper back. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how to incorporate the roses. At first I wanted them along side the initials, but not too sure about that now. I also just had the idea to only have the cross outlined, and have the roses inside of the cross with no bare spots within the cross. All this is probably a little confusing, so I have a few pics.

The first pic is what my little sister drew up in 5 minutes so its easier to understand. Just picture it without the sun behind the cross, and the rays coming from the clouds. And without the Heaven Sent above. The initials wont look like that, and obviously more detailed flowers.
    DSCN0628.jpg

The second pic is a reference of what I want the roses to look like. The roses I want are the large white ones on each side of the skull.
    DSCN0617Small-1.jpg

And the last pic is what I want the outline of cross to look like

So what do you think? How can I incorporate roses?
    Thanks

BIKERinBLACK77
    Participant
    @bikerinblack77

Best advice would be to have the artist and ask him to draw something up.

Maybe you could throw the roses inside the cross as fillers? Or even have the initials inside each of the roses on the side.

hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

Yeah thats what I meant when I said have the roses inside the outline of the cross. I really like the idea of having the letters inside the roses on the side.

I will talk to the artist, but since I’m not getting the tattoo for a couple months I don’t think he’ll draw it just yet.

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

i think it would look cool if you added 1 rose in each sort of whitespace around the cross. on the diagonal .

ill try and find a way to draw it later and upload it show what i mean,

Who did the cross?

hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

Are yousaying the roses should be just under the cross, and above the initials?

That would be great if you could draw it up, thanks.

I’m not sure who drew the cross, I just found it online. When I was in the shop a couple weeks ago, the artist showed me a few different types and told me to check some out on my own, and thats the one I decided on.

EDIT: Oh and see how the person with the cross has the tribal signs inside the outline? Thats what I was meant but with roses,Im not sure though.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

If you do the cross big enough there are several variations on how you could have the roses as part of the tattoo;

As already mentioned you could have the roses within the inside of the cross maybe intertwined and the petals holding the initials.

You could have the roses laying at the foot of the cross so that roses form an X with their stems.

You could have the roses on eitherside of the cross on the outside growing up against the cross.

You could have the roses wrapping around the T bars of the cross.

You could even have the stems of the roses forming the cross itself – doable but much more tricky artistically.

Really have to go with what you are most comfortable with.

Take care
    Matthew

hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

Yea I really like the idea of having the roses within the cross, I just don’t know if it would go well with the rays and clouds. And I like the idea of having the roses on each side of the cross. I just really don’t know, and I don’t want to ask the artist to draw a bunch of pictures so I can figure out which one I like the most.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

The sun rays and clouds will work as all plants need these for life (light and water)

Why not go for the roses being carved into the wood of the cross and add a hint of colour to them like drops of blood falling down the petals on to the base of the cross?

If you have the roses on eitherside I would possibly suggest having them wrap around the main pillar of the cross so that everything had a sense of ‘one-ness’.

The main thing is going with the concept that really grabs you.

Take care
    Matthew

hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

I just meant I don’t know how the rays and clouds would go if the roses were within the whole cross. I think it would make more sense if there were only a couple roses either growing on the cross or somewhere outside of the cross, like you said. But I like the idea of the roses within the cross a little more right now because it seems more original, I always see tattoos with a cross and flowers growing on it.

I think everything is going to have to be black and grey, I have darker skin (im black), so colors won’t show up as well. Though I am considered a lighter black person, so theres a chance colors would show up pretty nice.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Hops

Well the sun and clouds could be illuminating the cross which is often the case in many spiritual representations.

Red ink can be used on most skin types and I have seen it on very dark skin where it has still shown up but other colours may not work as well.

It is really a matter of personal choice of how you want the tattoo just go with what you are most comfortable with – not what people tell you should have.

It is your body and will be there for a long time.

Take Care
    Matthew

hops523
    Participant
    @hops523

Very true, I guess Ill just think about it. I do have a couple more months before I get it. But so far Im really liking the idea of having the roses inside the cross outline.

I also like the idea of having the roses just kind of fill up the space underneath the cross and initials. That way Id have somewhat of a complete image/scene, with the clouds and rays at the top, the cross and initials taking up the middle, and the roses down below.

So far I think its between those two.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.