skaterboy1993
    Participant
    @skaterboy1993

Hi, my name is Andrew. I have a appointment to get a tattoo in September. I am getting a tribal tiger on my 4 arm. My uncle recently braught to my mind that the tattoo may stick out in a job interveiw. Would a business not hire me because of the ink on my arm? Would I have to wear long sleeves to the interview to hide the tat?

Injun
    Participant
    @injun

Some employers may choose not to hire you due to the tattoo being in a highly visible location. It will mainly depend on the position. If you are dealing with some sort of direct contact with customers, then it may not be apealing to them. I myself waited to find my carreer before putting any on my forearm. It is your body, and just keep in mind what you plan to do with your life.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Truth is a lot of employers dislike visible tattoos and especially so when it is face to face customer work.
    I have changed jobs 5 times in my life and 4 (incl present employer) out of 5 have a zero visible ink policy.
    I would advise getting it on upper arm as long sleeves in summer is such a killer.

Take Care
    Matthew

Rockysmom
    Participant
    @rockysmom

Some jobs are more lax than others but I would never want to limit my job opportunites because of a tattoo. I prefer tattoos that can easily be hidden with a shirt. If you do get a tattoo that peeks out from a short sleeve shirt and your job does not approve you could be forced to wear a long shirt all of the time. If you are ok with that then go ahead. Otherwise, you may opt to have the tattoo go up higher on your arm and onto your chest area.

wak
    Participant
    @wak

What is the job you want to do… eg: are you currently studying a career? Each job is really different! Here in Australia, tattoos have become quite accepted in most workplaces… but I’m a designer… so my employment ‘word’ is a bit different to others.

Good luck!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

While tattoos and peircings have become more and more acceptable in corporate America over the last decade (for example, my last office job was working for Macy’s in their credit card divinsion. As I never saw customers, I could wear whatever I choose and have whatever ink I wanted as long as neither was racist, sexist, or vulgar), many employers, especially those in customer service, still have a zero tolerence policy.

The reason for that is that there’s still alot of assholes out there who won’t want to deal with you if you have visible ink. This can (conceivably) make customers choose another place to do their business, and let’s face it, the bottom line is still the bottom line.

But you know that going in. Tattoos are not socially acceptable. More so now than than in the past, but old women will still sometimes cross the street so they won’t have to walk past you, and pretty young things will often still be nervous about being alone in an elevator with you.

Frankly, it’s this social unacceptability that’s part of ink’s mystic. It marks us as us rather than them, shows we know something they don’t. And you have to pay the price for it.

Which is wearing a long sleeve to job interviews. Always.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

BIKERinBLACK77
    Participant
    @bikerinblack77

I suggest that you don’t get it on youre forearm for your first tattoo. Especially if you don’t know the career field you want to get into. Many people think wearing long sleeves will solve the problem but it really doesn’t. But hey, it’s your body I was just giving “food for thought”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.