Kiri
    Participant
    @kiri

So, I was just wondering what each of you thought on the best aftercare of a tattoo. I know each artist/studio has their own rituals, but what have you found to be the best products and techniques?

What are your tips of the trade?

I personally swear by Aquaphor. I would even say its my personal tattoo fountain of youth. As for aftercare techniques, I still haven’t found a good routine of washing (fresh tattoo), how often it needs cleaning and lotioning, etc. I have been told to wash with fragrance-free anitbacterial soap a few times a day, and then to keep it moist with the fragrance-free lotion.

1223577111497.jpg

EDIT: Please excuse the typo in the header.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Kiri

The best way is one that is best suited to you and your personal habits.

There are 2 ways to go dry heal or moisture heal.

Dry heal is just that – wash it and leave it (no rubbing just pat dry). Downside is it can crack and itch like a bastard.

Moisture heal – The main thing here is to keep the tattoo sterile for the first 2-3 days. This is until the scab forms/cuts seal up.

Some suggest anti-bacterial soap or others suggest an antiseptic light coating over the area at least twice a day.

Your body will know which it reacts better to – they key part is do not go overboard on anti-septics – a light coating is sufficient anymore and risk lifting ink.

Moisturising – Again personal choice as to what you like as long as unscented (I like you use aquaphor but have tried many types incl tattoo goo which is nice).

The amount of times will vary according to skin type – if you have very dry skin it might be 3-4 times a day. or normal skin 2-3 times.

Sensitive skin you might only do it once.

The main aprt is do not soak the tattoo – just enough to keep it moist and fresh.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.