Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

I was asked to attend a lecture (followed by Q&A session). by a student who was doing their undergrad in Psychology.

The session was on tattooing and whether people regret it or have had adverse psychological effects from having themselves tattooed.

I thought ok this should be interesting and sat through 45 mins of the worst bullshit I have had to endure…ever.

My biggest pet hate in life is where ppl would rather use excuses and look for research that only backs up their opinion. I would rather somebody stand up and say hey I hate x and my reasons for doing so are this. I have found these points which support my view.

Not ‘I am completely unbiased in my opinion but my research shows without reservation x’. This is utter nonsense when it comes to social or pyschological study our own experiences and prejudices affect how we interpet data.

To sum it up they jumped on the podium and stated that all ppl with tattooes can be fitted into 4 main catergories of personality types;

Rebellious (Only getting inked to challenge society or piss our peers off)

Peer Pressured (Getting tattooed to fit in witha group eg gangs, sports etc – typically male).

Aesthetic and/or emotional driven. (To look good for fashion or memorial type tattoos)

Whilst I am personally against putting ppl in ‘boxes’ I can accept that these maybe valid reasons as to why ppl get tattooed – but there are several other social, religious, cultural and even erotic reasons we do it (BECAUSE WE CAN! :D).

Anyhow shit hit the fan when they said that her study group showed;

Over 85% regretted having their ink done. (Majority I have interviewed have no regrets)

That getting tattooed was a sign of low self esteem. (Everybody has periods of this – inked or not)

People with tattoos are less likely to ‘achieve’ because they had less motivation and self esteem to succeed. (How many millions of ppl are holding down decent careers with ink and/or a decent standard of education?)

This is my favourite 😡

That the bigger the tattoo eg full bodysuit or backpiece is indicative of such low self esteem as to border upon self hate or suicide. (Yes my ambition is to be inked to death I am surely not alone??)

But – People who got tattooed for aesthetic reasons (because it made them feel good) suffer less low-self esteem. (No shit Sherlock – so logically a person feeling suicidal is more likley to try and kill themselves than somebody who is not feeling suicidal?).

Why? Because their research said so! (I am the Global God-Emperor because I wrote it down and said so – does that still count?)

I jumped off my chair in the Q&A and asked who was your study group? How big was the sample? Was it cross-cultural? What was the relgious mix? Also how did you measure low self esteem? etc etc

I was told I was ‘heckling’. I advised their research was bullshit and that they would have to really back up their studies with ‘hard facts’ not some personal crusade against ink.

They admitted their sample was only 20 people all of a similar background and age. (I love diverse opinion)

I was then taunted with ‘What do you know about tattooing and psychology to challenge me!’. 😀

(Gloves came off for an academic arse kicking)

I asked how long they had spent on the study and they said 200 hours.

I advised I had spent nearly 700 hours researching the basics of tattooing, design, concept, and history (I am still a novice) but there is no way in hell I would make a paper of such a crappy sample and obviously flawed case.

Also since they asked I was already in my PhD but I still have the balls to admit I get things wrong and do not know it all – which was sadly lacking in your lecture.

Talking with one of their colleagues it seems they had some crap ink done and had it lasered off – and has held a hatred ever since.

Why not just stand up and say that instead of making some bogus ‘study’ to justify their dislike.

Rant over.

Take Care
    Matthew

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

wow….. put them claws away mate :p

good on ya for challenging them, i moderate on another forum where every so often we get somebody post things like “i am a grad student in psychology and i am doing a studdy on tattooed people” and all of a sudden world war 3 breaks out and the topic normally gets closed after more swear words come out that anything else…. i am all for debates and research but to honnest i normally send them a private message or an email and then ban them.

fingers crossed we aint had them for ages……. also aint seen many on here yet either lol…. probably tempted fate now :p

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

:p

Yes re-reading that I see what you mean Outlaw. My nasty side just took a stroll along the forum board.

I know what you mean when somebody gives it ‘I want to do a study of tattooed people’ which reads as

‘because I think deep down that you must be mad or a sub-species of humanity I would like to stare at under a magnifying glass’.

A few of my colleagues asked me how is I got so far in my research and advised it really was down to one thing;

Passion for the subject

I love ink, the diversity, and even the debates and arguments that arise from the subjects.

I also pointed out that you have to earn your knowledge – many students just see it as a one-way issue. Which is about the worst way you can go about it. 🙂
    I always think it is better to try and give more than you take.

Take Care
    Matthew

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    Sherav;39401 wrote:
    :p

Yes re-reading that I see what you mean Outlaw. My nasty side just took a stroll along the forum board.

I know what you mean when somebody gives it ‘I want to do a study of tattooed people’ which reads as

‘because I think deep down that you must be mad or a sub-species of humanity I would like to stare at under a magnifying glass’.

A few of my colleagues asked me how is I got so far in my research and advised it really was down to one thing;

Passion for the subject

I love ink, the diversity, and even the debates and arguments that arise from the subjects.

I also pointed out that you have to earn your knowledge – many students just see it as a one-way issue. Which is about the worst way you can go about it. 🙂
    I always think it is better to try and give more than you take.

Take Care
    Matthew

Well done!

ETA: I also believe you know have a proof for your sig!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

That was your nasty side? Shessh, the way to describe yourself Matthew man I thought you turned into Dr. MacNasty with a PHD in dickishness, but you weren’t being the dick, HE was. You just pointed out to him he was a moron–I’d have thrown shit at him! No, seriously, I would have thrown my steel toed boot at him!

Seriously though, I’m surprised this is the first time you’ve heard something like this. When I was a psychology student for about three years there, I heard that “tattoos = low self-esteem” meme at least a thousand times.

People demonize what they don’t understand, and most of those I’ve met with head-shrinker degrees think they’re not only immune to this, but that they have a keen insight into the human psyche. It’s hateful, and good on you for showing him how far up his own ass his head was.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Matthew

god, I wish I’d been there. That undergrade knows JACK SHIT!! Do he know how loong it can take to get a tat done. Book the consultation…wait 2 months to see the artist……then maybe another 2 monts before you actully get inked. Yeah suicidal…..that is a long slow death. In London the suicidal ones I hear about are the ones who jump infront of rush hour trains and bring London to a standstill. They don’t get a tattoo.

Purplestar

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

Besides wtf would be the point of getting a tat if you were going to kill yourself?

I don’t think people that are suicidal are really caring about too many long term things…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.