AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

Hello everyone! My name is Eddy. I’m 18 years old and a Freshman at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. I have been interested in body modification for quite some time, and I got my first tattoo in November of last year.

I’m currently enrolled in an English 102 course with its focus being Inquiry Into Body Modification. For this third paper, we are required to conduct some hands-on research on a specific body modification community.
    Today I have come to your forums in hopes that I can gather some data for my paper on the existence of a tattooing community outside internet groups and forums.

I would appreciate it very much if you could take a moment of your time to respond to this short questionnaire. Hopefully some questions will spark some dialog and create further questions I can use.

I understand how irritating it may be for some new random person to join a forum just to do some homework; I’m a member of plenty of other forums where I see this happening and I’m usually put off by it. However I hope to be a somewhat active member of this community even after the survey; like I said, I am interested in tattoos and piercings, and it would be nice to talk to some people with similar interests.

So without any further ado, here are the questions:

• What is your age?
    • Do you have any tattoos?
    • How long have you been involved in this community?
    • Are you a part of any other online tattoo communities? If so, which ones?
    • Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this?
    • How many friends outside of this community do you have that also have tattoos?
    • What was your reason for joining this online community?
    • What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and contribute regularly?
    • Have you met with any members here outside of the forum?
    • Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like?
    • How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?

Thank you all very much! I’ll be sure to check back often and respond to some questions and offer new questions for discussion.

Peace

PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

How many Questions…

I’ll try and answer them and reply to you via a personal post…

AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

It’s the 11 questions I posted up there in the original post. Possibly followed by a couple other questions if some responses warrant further inquiry.

Thanks a bunch!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

[*]What is your age?

[*]Do you have any tattoos?

You could say that 😀 Check out my album–I’m loaded.

[*]How long have you been involved in this community?

2 months

[*]Are you a part of any other online tattoo communities? If so, which ones?

Just this one.

[*]Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this?

Between none to three hours, depending on how much home work I’m avoiding.

[*]How many friends outside of this community do you have that also have tattoos?

Dozens.

[*]What was your reason for joining this online community?

Boredom.

[*]What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and contribute regularly?

I think since I joined at the end of Feb I’ve become on of the most prolific posters, due mostly to the down time I have between classes.

[*]Have you met with any members here outside of the forum?

Nope.

[*]Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like?

Yes, drunken party.

[*]How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?

Connection is going a bit far. But I do see a person more favorably if they have one. It’s a sign that they’re part of the club, that they share an understanding with me that a noninked person doesn’t. It’s a mental realignment that identifies the person as a possible ally, as opposed to neutral.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

Thank you so much for your response, KnightHawk! Your answers will be very helpful! The answer to the last question will probably be the one that has a greater emphasis when I write my paper, so I do greatly appreciate your response 🙂

Oh, I forgot to put a little side note in the first post:
    I will not use names in my paper of anyone who responds to this survey, unless given permission by the poster to do so. Your identity will remain anonymous, however I may quote an answer for use in the paper citing in the fashion of, “One user said so and so about the level of involvement in the online community.” Something to that effect.
    So if you would not mind being identified in my paper (which again is just a paper for my English 102 class, and will not be published anywhere or distributed), please say so. If you’d prefer I just use your username, that is just fine. If you don’t mind posting your real name, that is fine as well.

PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

What is your age?

Do you have any tattoos?

Recently had my first one…

How long have you been involved in this community?

A couple of weeks, to seek help and advice…

Are you a part of any other online tattoo communities? If so, which ones?

No

Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site?

Couple of minutes every now and then during the day…

How many friends outside of this community do you have that also have tattoos?

Most of my friends and university buddies have Tats… mainly them damn stars… argh

What was your reason for joining this online community?

It’s all new to me, so I searched for a forum where I could ask questions to help ease my mind…

What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and contribute regularly?

I’m still learning and finding my feet… so I just post the odd comment or ask the odd question

Have you met with any members here outside of the forum?

Yes… my tattoo artist has his business advertised on here… so he recommend the site to me…

Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like?

No… but I would love to attend one… maybe in time I will

How do you feel when you see another tattooed person?

Depends upon the Tat… some I hate (like them damn Stars), but I do sometimes see people with Tats and think Sheep (Bah Bah) because they have not used there imagination and had something identicle to there friends Tat…

Other people… I just think wow… Nice Ink etc…

Anything above the norm… I love to see… I find it fascinating….

Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?

Why should I… it’s like saying I should have a connection with someone with brown hair & blue eyes… just because they have the same hair & eye colour as me, does not mean I need to connect with them…

In some cases yes… it is a little community of their own… but they are the ones heavily into tatooing… most people have Tats as a form of fashion accessory…

It all depends upon the person… and the circumstances surrounding it…

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Go ahead and use my name if you like–it’s Matthew McDonald.

Hell, it’s not like it isn’t a common name. The SSN office says there’s three quarters of a million people in the USA with my exact name.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

You can also use my name if you want…

As I live in England… Many Many miles from you…

It’s: – James Mason

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

You can also use my name I have no problem it is Matthew Hull also from England.

What is your age?
    Do you have any tattoos?
    Yes I have 3. 2 on show in my album. 1 private and a backpiece starting 24.6.09

A little over 3 months.

I sometimes post a little on Tattoo People.

Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this?

30 mins to 2 hours (depends on whether there is something of interest to research).

Out of around 8 close friends only myself.

I am currently researching tattooing as I am writing a book called Tattooing and Taboos.

What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and contribute regularly?

I try to be as much help as I can. By helping others I actually learn more about the topic.

Not as yet. There are a couple in England I might get myself to for some work.

Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like?

My first convention was a mind blowing experience to see so many inked ppl in one place. Since then it is still a buzz to see the art on show.

How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?

I have an immediate interest in the ink they are wearing. Yes on a small level we share a common experience but as with all meetings it is varied according to the personality of the indvidual.

Take care
    Matthew

AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

Thank you all very much 🙂 I appreciate your responses, as well as your willingness to let me use your names.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that this survey will be open up until Tuesday, March 31, around 10pm. That should give me enough time to analyze the responses and put them into my paper.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

normally i tell people asking this type of thing to sling their hook, but you asked nicely and didnt demand anything, so here goes

Q. What is your age?
    A. 44

Q. Do you have any tattoos?
    A. lots

Q. How long have you been involved in this community?
    A. quite a while

Q. Are you a part of any other online tattoo communities? If so, which ones?
    A. about 6, some of which are outlawtattoo, tattoofreaks, tattoospace, inktrails, needle jacks etc.. etc..

Q. Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this?
    A. about 4hrs all in

Q. How many friends outside of this community do you have that also have tattoos?
    A. hundreds

Q. What was your reason for joining this online community?
    A. advised by another artist

Q. What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and
    contribute regularly?
    A. I hope to think i contribute regularily :p

Q. Have you met with any members here outside of the forum?
    A. yes

Q. Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like?
    A. yes its a great experience i would recommend to anybody with or without tattoo’s

Q. How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?
    A. I dont feel any connection unless of course they are wearing some of my artwork, although i do check out the quality of the work they have had done by other artists.

AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

Again, I want to thank everyone who has participated and helped me by doing this survey.

My instructer pushed back the due date of this paper, so this survey will now be kept open until 10:00pm tomorrow (Thursday, April 2nd). Last chance for anyone interested to voice their opinions!

I appreciate the responses from everyone who has participated, and I also appreciate how kind everyone has been 🙂 It’s always unnerving posting in a new forum as the new guy, especially when your first post is the kind of thing most people find to be annoying while on a forum. So thanks again to everyone!

illume666
    Participant
    @illume666

* What is your age? 20

* Do you have any tattoos? 3

* How long have you been involved in this community? just over a year

* Are you a part of any other online tattoo communities? If so, which ones? no

* Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this? an hour or so every other day

* How many friends outside of this community do you have that also have tattoos? dozens

* What was your reason for joining this online community? see others peoples work, help with questions, ask questions.

* What level of involvement would you say you have with this online community? Do you visit and contribute regularly? i try to where i can.

* Have you met with any members here outside of the forum? no

* Have you ever attended a tattoo convention or other gathering of tattooed people, and what was the experience like? not as of yet, id really like to go to one though if perth ever has one.

* How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person? somewhat, i like to admire their work and ask questions with their experience. ie: which spot hurt more, how long it took. where it got done.

AntiGravity
    Participant
    @antigravity

I want to thank everyone that participated and helped me with my research. Thank you guys; Sherav, Outlaw, PBimages, KnightHawk, and illume666. I really appreciate it!

I may or may not post up the paper here depending on how lengthy it becomes and the response from my professor and peers. Either way, I want you all to know that your efforts are greatly appreciated, and I am thankful to have found a community so open to my request. I look forward to discussing tattoos in general and other such things on this forum with you all!

Peace.

Sailor_Emma
    Participant
    @sailor_emma

What is your age?
    Do you have any tattoos?
    Yep
    About 6 months maybe
    Nope
    Approximately how much time per day do you spend on this site? On other forums like this?
    Depends. If I’m bored, can be like an hour. I spend a lot more time on the dreadlock forum im on for some reason.
    Around 10
    I can get my questions answered and stuff.
    Medium level I suppose and yep
    Nope
    Nope, I’ve not managed to yet
    How do you feel when you see another tattooed person? Do you feel any sort of connection with this person?
    They seem interesting, like they have a story to tell.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.