purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Hi every one

I’m not new to tattoos, currently have 5, 3 of which are cover ups (one twice). I having a new tattoo this coming week and my tattooist suggested that I might want to number the area first with ELMA cream, as the there is a lot of fine line work to be done. I’m not realy sure what to do. Has anybody else tried this cream. What are your viiews.
    – as someone who has been numbed
    – as an artist who has tattooed the numbed.
    I have come across a few comments (state side) some for, some against.

The area I haveing tattooed is my lower back to the left of my spine, with an area of about 8 x 8 inches.

I would really appreciate some feed back. The longest I have sat before was 2 hours 40 minutes.

thanks

Purplestar

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Purple

I have not been tattooed with the cream but I have been cut open and had some (minor-ish) surgery with it.

Due to my heart condition they did not want to use a general anaesthetic so they used stack of cream which kills the feeling in your leg.

Talking with the guy working on me I joked about him letting me have it for a tattoo.

His response was that it would not be much use as the skin can become highly irritated by the cream (mine went all puckered and blotchy) and forcing a pigment into it whilst using it can run a risk of infection.

Also some creams are steroidal so it breaks down the skin anyway and has to be re-applied a lot as the effect wears off fairly quickly.

To be honest even with the local they gave me been cut open using the cream was a real teeth gritter – hurt way more than the tattoo.

My advice is talk to a medical professional about it and check what is actually in the stuff as there are many types on the market.

Take care
    Matthew

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Thanks Matthew

I think I’ll go with the traditional method and just grin and bear the pain. Two months ago I hadn’t even heard of the stuff.

This time next week it will be all over. Tat finished and I’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Purplestar

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

my wings go right down to my lower back and its really not that bad , about the same as every where else

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Well, I had my tattoo done on Saturday, 3 hours under the needle and the outline burnt like hell in places. But once the colour was going in, it was a piece of cake. I have to go back in a few week to have some fine line details – finishing touches. Guess it is gonna burn again, but no more the tattoo I had on my right shoulder blade 3 years ago.

The cream is still sealed in the medicine cupboard.

Purplestar

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

so what have you had done then ? ๐Ÿ™‚

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Hi Butterfly Kiddes

I’ve had a Hindu Goddess Lakshmi, she is sitting on pink lotus flower and holdin little yellow lotus flowers. She is droping gold coins from her right hand. She is giver of boht spititual and matierial wealth. (besides more).

Purplestar

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

oh right up my alley ๐Ÿ™‚ have you got any pics ?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Gratz on getting it done.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Take Care

Matthew

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

well done on getting it done without the cream, as an artist i can safely say that yes i do use it on occasions as well as ametop gel, and it does make the skin go like rubber and its a bitch to work on sometimes….. this sometimes means that you need to work the ink in real hard and it can cause the skin to be overworked rather quickly…..

dont use it unless you really need to…. i advise people against it always ๐Ÿ˜‰ just climb aboard the pain train and ride it like a hero :p

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Butterfly Kisses I will get a photo uploaded soon. Thanks Outlaw for your response. I will bear the pain once again when I go back for the finishing touches. And now doublt for future tattoos to.

Thank you

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

This is something I know I’ve said around here before, perhaps to the point it’s getting old, but I’m gonna say it again.

Part of what makes tattoos what they are is their mystic. There are so many tall tales surrounding them, so much misinformation. People will shun you for them, bar you entry into groups–others will feel an instant connection with you, give you more leeway than a stranger without. Old women will come up and grab your arm to see your crazy young person artwork. Young women will be uncomfortable to be alone in an elevator with you.

All of that, the approval, the disapproval, the confusion, even the apathy and sometimes out right hatred are because tattoos mark you as part of our in-group. That you share an experience and a love with us that most people will never understand. That, in some small way, it shows you’re one of us, not one of them. That you’re in our club

Part of the price of entry is the pain. It’s the bar that stops tattoos from becoming so wide spread. It helps to scare those who are not serious about them off, and it helps prevent bad tattoos. While I admit that bad ink is common, it also helps to ensure that a person will not get design unless they are sure about it…in most cases.

But more, the pain is a large part of the mystic, part of what makes them compelling. It hurts, and we choose it. Being of sound mind, we choose to endure this pain for the sake of art. And most people just can’t understand how we in the club can endure the pain for the sake of having pictures on our bodies. That there must be something wrong with us. It honestly mystifies them.

Without the price in pain, tattoos lose their mystic and become just another fashion accessories. They become accessible to everyone, and quite honestly, without the pain to slow down the decision making process, more bad tattoos will appear. Getting inked stops being an event in your life, and becomes no more consequential than getting a spray on tan.

And, at that point, what’s the point?

Besides, my best tattoo memory I have is when I was getting my wrist done, and the only thing that kept me from bawling right there in my man’s chair was my wife sitting there asking me “Wassa matter, does it hurt? Little baby gonna cry ‘cus it hurts? Baby need a baba?”. ๐Ÿ˜€

So, in short, I disapprove of numbing cream, and kinda look down on those who choose to use them.

Of course, YMMV.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

KH you actually found someone to marry you ? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ lol
    i love how she busts your chops while your in pain ๐Ÿ˜€

Purple star * hurry up with the pic im dying to see it now ๐Ÿ™‚
    one of my plans to sleeve my left arm is either with a really detailed Krishna , shiva or buddha
    originally i was going to do it on my right arm to cover up a arm band of snoopy’s i stupidly had done at the age of 16 which now looks shite but my artist said that he would have to do it black and gray which is not my style ..

now im hoping to just cap onto my shoulder and top of my arm with a purple/blue lotus flower

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

What am I talking about; I forgot to count the tattoo on the back of my neck making the total 6 (excluding cover-ups).
    I guess that tube of cream is just gonna sit in the medicine cupboard. I agree KnightHawk; a friend of mine told me it was a right of passage to experience the pain. How wants tattoo that is easy as a wash off transfer to apply?
    I didnโ€™t even know that you could be numbed until my tattooist mentioned it to me 2 months ago, and that’s what set me off with this post.
    Thanks you every one for your replies. I will try to get the photo up soon; Iโ€™m a bit of a techno phobe. If someone can let me know how to upload it, can you PM me. I did try but got a little lost.
    Purplestar

Marcus M6
    Participant
    @marcus-m6

Numbing cream is not needed, tattoos aren’t that painful that you can’t at least sit there for 2 hours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.