purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Hi, new to this forum but not to tattoos. However, it was only recentley that the thought crossed my mind. Is tattoo ink suitable for vegetarians or vegans? The question may be a little late for me as I have has 2 new tattoos in the last 3 years ( and several older ones)

I know that several amongst us are veggie/vegan, but what about the ink?

Purplestar

Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

I would think most of the modern inks are artificial or mineral based.

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

thanks for that Viking445,

Purplestar

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Purplestar

Many ink manufacturers do not directly declare what is in their contents – but many are made from the following;

Metal oxides

Clay extracts

Monoarylide and Diarylide (synthetic pigments)

Also some compunds found in plastics.

Check out this link shows what can be used in the dyes but I have no idea if this stuff is tested on animals or not.

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm

Take Care
    Matthew

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Sherav – Matthew

thanks very much for this link, I have had a read and there does not seem to be anything animal derived in the contents listed.

thank you

Purplestar

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

my vegan friend has never doubted it being safe ( animal free )

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

tattoo is done – read my ELMA posting

thanks for the repsonse everyone, sorry for quick response, Heros is on.

Purplestar

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

hey all. new to the forum myself. just on the topic of vegan/veg ink. i don’t know, but presume the ink contents vary from colour to colour. if they did, it could be the case that some are vegan/veg, some aren’t. can anyone shed any light on that our moi? merci 🙂

Imperial Design
    Participant
    @imperial-design

I only use ink made from the blood of baby kittens. Its just gets your more connected with nature and stuff… lol

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

are you gonna eat it??

i didnt realise that the vegan belief went that far.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Yes vegan(ic) belief can include anything that is derived from animals directly or indirectly.

I went away to do some more research, and even phoned a manufacturer and asked them.

It seems that the pigments used are not based on animal products directly. Some of the older inks (60’s) may have used an extracted product containing fish guts.

It seems the majority of newer inks are based on synthetics used in plastics and inert material extracts (clay etc).

The difficulty is that unlike most products they do not have to declare the contents or the manufacturing process – I only got that far because I said i was writing a book on tattooing and even then they will not let me quote them directly.

If I dig up anymore I will let you know but I am sure it is safe for vegetarians and most moderate vegans at least.

Take care
    Matthew

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

thanks for your response once again Matthew on both counts.

Yes Turbosatan, Vegans beliefs do go that far, a lot futher the the ‘vegetarians’ that each fish (or kittens).

Only today, I had somecheck my clothes in detail, he was convinced he would find me wearing leather in some form or another. And no I wasn’t. No leather for me, which is a shame because I used to love wearing it.

Purplestar

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

appreciate you goin through all that trouble to find about the ink. thanks. i’m not vegan myself, i’d be vegetarian, just as a point of interest, people who eat fish and call themseleves vegetarians are actually piscitarians. but it doesn’t matter much coz it’s everyone’s own choice what they wanna eat. even if it’s the brains of the living. 😛

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

yes that is correct StuperMario, the piscitarians know who they are, it is the fish eating veggies that cofuse the issue and wouldn’t understand the term ‘piscitarian’ if slapped them in the face likea wet fish.:)

Anyway I’m off to have a toaseted tofu and advocado sandwich on brown bread now.

Purplestar

p.s

I was in a Dublin airport about 10 years ago, still a veggie, just before I went vegan, I said to the girl behind the sandwich counter, “I’m a vegetarian, what have you got that I can eat” she offered me a bacon sandwich?! ( she wasn’t a Irish by the way)

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

i do miss a good bacon sandwich though. mmm. ha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.