PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

I got my first tat yesterday…

This is the advice I was given…

I was told to leave covered (with cling) for at least 3 hours, then wash/shower as normal recover with bepanthen and leave covered with cling overnight. Next day wash again and re-apply Bepanthen 4 or 5times a day.

Continue using Bepanthen for at least a week…

The question that I have…

Is it Ok to wash with a sponge as normal using Sanex moisturising bath cream?

Only I did use a spong last night to remove the Vasaline and ink residue… and the ink staining on my arm surrounding the tat that looked a right mess…

Have I already made a fatel mistake?

The tat on a whole looks great… all redness has gone… and my arm is no longer sore…

Should I now stop washing with a sponge and use just my hand… or am I safe to continue…

LAP13
    Participant
    @lap13

Hi

I’m no expert (I only got my first 4 weeks ago) and I’m sure you’ll get loads of responses soon, as everyone here is more than willling to help (there is so much knowledge)

I was told same thing – do what I’d normally do and use either bepanthen or Bach’s rescue cream (which I opted for as it’s just plant extracts and natural).
    I washed the area gently using fingers and it was fine. I only had very light peeling and no itching!

I think so long as you’re gentle and the sponge isn’t going to have an abrasive effect should be ok.

I’m also sure that if I’m completely wrong, I’ll be corrected soon enough!

😀

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

When washing the tattoo something soft such as fingers a soft wash cloth or sponge is fine. The main thing is to not rub it vigourously and to pat it dry gently.

Bethpanen or other antiseptics should be used for the first 2-3 days or so (some say 5 days) and then moisturise with non-scented lotion 2-3 times a day.

Main thing is to keep it clean and no picking.

Looking forward to seeing your ink.

Take Care
    Matthew

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

If the sponge is soft then it’s fine, you can continue using it, if it’s particularly abrasive then ditch it for a while. You haven’t made a fatal mistake even if it is abrasive – if any damage had been done already you’d know by now!

To what Matthew says: I personally stick with the bepanthan for about a week and then switch. The one tattoo I have that I switched earlier than a week for ended up really dry and is still prone to dryness even now. I think it totally depends on your skin – if you’re a fast healer 3 days may be fine, if you’re about average then I’d stick with it for a week! Having said this, I only apply it 2-3 times a day. I guess we’re all different – whatever works for you! Just make sure to only apply a thin layer each time – too thick and you’ll saturate the scabs and pull ink potentially. Congrats on the new ink!

PBimages
    Participant
    @pbimages

I’d like to thank you all for your replys…

They have helped ease my worries…

All though the sponge is soft and non abrasive I think I will try and remember to use my hand instead of the sponge…

However, as of yet the tat appears to be fine…

Cannot wait to see it finished…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.