Kiri
    Participant
    @kiri

So, my best friend has diabetes and is considering getting a tattoo on her calf. She has read on the internet that this would not be a good idea because of healing purposes, but her doctor ( who doesn;t seem to know alot about the subject) thinks it would be fine. Does anybody know if this would end badly?

nicky_too
    Participant
    @nicky_too

Maybe I can help out a bit, since I have diabetes and I have had new tattoos done since being diagnosed.

It is different for everyone.
    I’m type 2 (no idea if that makes a difference at all) and I have to say that my healing does go a bit slower, but it’s not so bad. And that’s the thing.

Your friend should look at how her body usually reacts to wounds and if they heal quick enough and in a good way. If that is fine, there should not be a problem.

Is this her first tattoo? Or has she had more (maybe before being diagnosed with diabetes)?
    If it’s her first, make sure she knows how to prepare as well if she goes through with it. That means: eat before she goes and maybe even take some extra food or glucose with her should she need it during the setting. She should drink enough (not an awful lot, but it does help, I find).

As far as the rest goes, if she just follows the usual rules on how to look after a brand new tat, the healing process is helped plenty and should be fine.

The main thing is how her body usually heals. When that is slower or in any other way bad/troublesome, she shouldn’t have the tat done.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi as Nicky states ppl are normally ok if they have diabetes.

That said the main issue is infection – if you are finding that your blood sugar level is unstable and slow healing on small wounds it is def not a good idea.

If you are stable and heal ok then follow above advice.

I would recommend against tattoos that are on the hands or feet as these are areas that are most used by the body and come into direct contact with bacteria a lot – so more prone to infection.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.