oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Post an interesting (viewers decide which is the best) question about Japanese kanji characters and win a free, hand drawn Japanese kanji character of your choice. Character will be written by a Tokyo calligraphy master. Suitable for framing or use for your tattoo. EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED

Chance666
    Participant
    @chance666

What’s the difference between Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji? Also where did Kanji derive from?

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Thanks for participating Chance! And great question. Let’s look forward to some more questions and see how this idea turns out. Feel free to ask more and/or different questions.

Chance666
    Participant
    @chance666

I am really interested in kanji, my back piece will have alot of character’s so I have been doing alot of reading on the subject.

Why does one character have the possibility of so my different meanings???

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Hi Chance,

Those are good questions and thanks for your participation! I’ll reply with an answer but in the mean time PM me and tell me what kind of kanji you want and what you want it to say. I’ll start working on it.
    tattootranslation@gmail.com

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

i have a question ,

what do japanese people really honestly think of brits , yanks , ozzies , ( anyone not japanese ) using kanji in there tattoo designs ? 😀

oh and , can all names be translated into kanji even if it is an arabic name ?
    (thats just something i want to know because of my son’s name )

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Hi Butterfly_Kisses,

Japanese people with tattoos and Japanese tattoo artists think non-Japanese with tattoos are great. They’re generally warmly welcomed…all things (i.e. you’re not sitting next to a racist Yakuza that hates all things Western) considered. The use of kanji, however, in Japanese tattoos tends to be very frugal. See Master Roppongi Horiyu’s tattoos at: http://www.tattootroll.org/ second from the bottom and the two Yamaguchi Yakuza syndicate fellows he inked – no kanji. Just images.

Mainstream Japanese, however, will very seldom meet or have anything to do with a tattooed foreigner so it’s not something they’d give much thought to as either good or bad, but rather think of it as something quirky, odd or unusual. It just depends the kind of Japanese person you’re talking to. Unlike other countries, tattoos in Japan are generally hidden (unless it’s inked somewhere that can be seen) from public view and only shown to one’s closest friends and family. A good way to guess who’s Yakuza on the trains is to notice the folks that are buttoned up tight, long-sleeved with no skin showing in the dead of summer, with temperatures and humidity in the 90s.

Yes, you can translate any name from any language into kanji but in some cases it might end up being a false substitute i.e. the characters would sound like the given name but they would not match the meaning of that name. To get around this most foreign names are written using the katakana syllabary which are simple phonetic sounds (and historically component parts of kanji) with no logographic meaning. Example: 気 = [ ki ] translated as energy or power in English e.g. Aikdo = 合気道. However, キ or き = [ ki ] from katakana and hiragana respectively are syllabaric sounds with no logographic meaning.

PM me if you want to talk about a great kanji for your son’s name. I’d be happy to help !

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

sure might do , my bf wants our son’s name doing at some point 😎

BioMechanical_Vulture
    Participant
    @biomechanical_vulture

does anyone know of someone who uses the kanji method here in texas?

teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe
    Chance666;37012 wrote:
    What’s the difference between Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji? Also where did Kanji derive from?

Since no one answered your question, I will.

Hiragana is a basic, simplified Japanese script that came from simplifying Chinese characters into a syllabary. It’s used for word where there are no kanji, particles, and name suffixes. Such as を, a particle showing what part of the sentence the direct object is; or さん, which reads “san” as in 綾唯美さん, (Ayumi-san). They can also be used with kanji, like in the word 食べる (taberu) which is a verb meaning “to eat”.

Katakana is another syllabary. It’s shapes are even more simple than Hiragana. It’s used to write foreign words like パン (pan) which means bread. (I think it comes from the Portuguese word for bread.) or コンピューター (konpyuta) which means computer.

Kanji is used to write whole words, or ideas. There’s thousands of kanji, although only 1,945 are widely used. They also came from Chinese characters, but had little or no modification. Examples are: 車 (kuruma) car, 草(kusa) grass, and 紫 (murasaki) which is the color purple.

Hope I helped you, and if someone notices a mistake I made, please correct me.

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Thanks for jumping the gun on this one teh_universe and your erudite explanation. FYI I’ve previously answered Chance666 via PM…in detail. Saying that, next time your in Roppongi you can buy me a drink at TGIF. I’ll be the old guy sitting at the bar with the attractive young lady on one arm and the punch perm on the other. Just kidding homie… Only one arm….:D

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura
    BioMechanical_Vulture;37967 wrote:
    does anyone know of someone who uses the kanji method here in texas?

Hi BioMechanical_Vulture,

Not sure about translators in Texas but if you have questions or want to do something with kanji feel free to PM me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.