snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler

Hi,
    I just had a tattoo done yesterday and the girl made a mistake. I had a date on it and instead of writing 23rd, she wrote 23th 😡 Now the writing is very small and only single line, and the girl assures me that if I pick the scab off the ink will come out. iS this true or have I been fed some BS?
    Cheers, Toby
    P.S. If it is BS is laser removal my only option?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Pick the scab off and the ink will come off!

She has the balls to call herself a tattoo artist? 😡

Ok if you pick the scab off it will lift the ink and will leave you with a spotty tattoo or a scar outline of what it said.

You could also end up with nasty infection.
    Do not pick it I cannot stress that enough.

Any artist who can fuck up a basic 23rd bit of writing and offers that advice needs that machine breaking over their skull.

Let it heal and then take it to a proper artist and they should be able to rework over it so it reads correctly.

Failing that get it lightened by a few laser treatments and get it reworked.

I would also advise you reading my myths thread.

Take Care
    Matthew

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Sherav;36311 wrote:
    Pick the scab off and the ink will come off!

She has the balls to call herself a tattoo artist? 😡

Ok if you pick the scab off it will lift the ink and will leave you with a spotty tattoo or a scar outline of what it said.

You could also end up with nasty infection.
    Do not pick it I cannot stress that enough.

Any artist who can fuck up a basic 23rd bit of writing and offers that advice needs that machine breaking over their skull.

Let it heal and then take it to a proper artist and they should be able to rework over it so it reads correctly.

Failing that get it lightened by a few laser treatments and get it reworked.

I would also advise you reading my myths thread.

Take Care
    Matthew

Ok so it sounds like I got some seriously bad advice. I thought that, hence me asking the question on here. As you can imagine I’m not impressed in the slightest. It makes it especially worse that the tattoo is to commemorate the death of my parents. Fortunately I looked down and saw the mistake before she finished the h so it looks like t l at the moment. I think someone will be able to join the lower part of the t to the stick of what was going to be the h to make a d, and then put an r in front. it of a bodge up job but I’ve now got to work on what’s there. If it ends up a mess what’s the likelyhood of getting the tattoo ‘artist’ to cough up the cost of the laser treatment? Bearing in mind I live in the UK.

As I’ve got bad advice from her already can I double check the best way to take care of the tattoo? I’ve had others in the past but my memory’s a bit vague. She’s told me to keep it covered for 3 days with cling film, and replace this morning and night. Also to GENTLY clean the tattoo, and after apply a small amount of E45 cream before recovering. Is this right. I’m sure in the past I was advised to use Savlon antiseptic Cream but this girl said that that would fade the tattoo :-/

HeartFlower
    Participant
    @heartflower

The way I’ve always done it is to keep it bandaged for an hour or so after I get it, and then after that I wash it GENTLY with non-scented soap and use Curel Intensive Moisture Lotion several times a day. There are a variety of methods you can use, but that’s the one that’s always worked for me, and all four of mine look great.

Sorry to hear about your tattoo…that sucks, dude.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

What a stupid bitch!!!! Did she freehand it on or was there already a stencil, you poor thing, i would suggest just wait and see how it heals, you never know she may have been that bad that the ink might just fall out anyway……otherwise seek some advise from a PROFFESSIONAL in your area, i would probably recommend getting it lazered so its a bit lighter so the next artist could fix it, bit hard to tell without a pic

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Ok sorry about my rant earlier – it is just some ppl really make me angry when they call themselves an artist and hand bullshit info like that.

It puts you at risk and makes a bad name for others who are professionals.

Ok

First of all by your post the tattoo is not the end of the world. I know it is easy for me to say but do not panic about your ink. I have seen many a tattoo turned around by a professional artist and I am sure that this can be corrected.

As for tattoo care there are plenty of methods but following the basic rules will ensure it stays healthy;

The tattoo should eb covered after first being done – many use clingfilm.

Within 12 hrs the tattoo should be washed with clean water and patted dry.
    It should then be covered again with a sterile dressing (non-stick gauze) for a further 12 hrs.

Apply a small amount of antiseptic of choice for the first 2-3 days (2-3 times a day) some use bethpanen, savlon, prep H etc. Be gentle do not rub it in use pads of fingers to roll over the tat.

The key here is that antispetics can lift ink if applied too much or when it is scabbing – 2-3 days will keep the wound clean until it clots and scabs.

Wash it daily – pat dry – no rubbing.

The after that use a non-scented lotion to moisturise the tat x2 daily – I like aquaphor but vaseline intensive et all are good.

As for her advice imagine wearing a sweaty sock that is so minging it sticks to the wall when thrown. That is the same as wrapping your tat in clingfilm for 3 days the sweat would corrode the tat and be a bacteria fest for infection.

Can I ask who this ‘artist’ is?

As for them paying for lasering – well I am no lawyer but you may have a struggle as you prob signed a disclaimer that if anything goes wrong it is tough shit.

I have 3 artists who I would recommend a visit once healed as they all do good cover-up/rework

http://www.kaleidoscopetattoos.com/ (Leeds, Russ – He did my wife portrait and actually its on the front of his website when it was first done).

http://ultimateskintattoo.com/main.htm (Leeds, Butch – He is a class artist with years of experience).

http://www.skinchaos.com/ (Dewsbury 5 mins walk from trainstation – Phil – I want this guy to do my backpiece they have consultations 9:30-10:30 Tues-Sat and it’s free).

If these guys cannot sort it I cannot suggest anything other than my Tattoo Removal The Cheap & Sleazy thread 😉

Ok to be serious again if you need any further info or advice feel free to post/pm me.

Take Care
    Matthew

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

post an image of it in your gallery so we can get a better idea, try making it a clear close shot.
    that way we might be able to give an idea of how well the ink was placed and if there is a chance of it dropping out.

i do feel deeply for you, but dont panic, it aint the end of the world. its amaizing how things can be corrected by some artists..

ps…. you have some great pieces of work on you, i love the piece on your foot 😉

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Sherav;36327 wrote:
    Hi

Ok sorry about my rant earlier – it is just some ppl really make me angry when they call themselves an artist and hand bullshit info like that.

It puts you at risk and makes a bad name for others who are professionals.

Ok

First of all by your post the tattoo is not the end of the world. I know it is easy for me to say but do not panic about your ink. I have seen many a tattoo turned around by a professional artist and I am sure that this can be corrected.

As for tattoo care there are plenty of methods but following the basic rules will ensure it stays healthy;

The tattoo should eb covered after first being done – many use clingfilm.

Within 12 hrs the tattoo should be washed with clean water and patted dry.
    It should then be covered again with a sterile dressing (non-stick gauze) for a further 12 hrs.

Apply a small amount of antiseptic of choice for the first 2-3 days (2-3 times a day) some use bethpanen, savlon, prep H etc. Be gentle do not rub it in use pads of fingers to roll over the tat.

The key here is that antispetics can lift ink if applied too much or when it is scabbing – 2-3 days will keep the wound clean until it clots and scabs.

Wash it daily – pat dry – no rubbing.

The after that use a non-scented lotion to moisturise the tat x2 daily – I like aquaphor but vaseline intensive et all are good.

As for her advice imagine wearing a sweaty sock that is so minging it sticks to the wall when thrown. That is the same as wrapping your tat in clingfilm for 3 days the sweat would corrode the tat and be a bacteria fest for infection.

Can I ask who this ‘artist’ is?

As for them paying for lasering – well I am no lawyer but you may have a struggle as you prob signed a disclaimer that if anything goes wrong it is tough shit.

I have 3 artists who I would recommend a visit once healed as they all do good cover-up/rework

http://www.kaleidoscopetattoos.com/ (Leeds, Russ – He did my wife portrait and actually its on the front of his website when it was first done).

http://ultimateskintattoo.com/main.htm (Leeds, Butch – He is a class artist with years of experience).

http://www.skinchaos.com/ (Dewsbury 5 mins walk from trainstation – Phil – I want this guy to do my backpiece they have consultations 9:30-10:30 Tues-Sat and it’s free).

If these guys cannot sort it I cannot suggest anything other than my Tattoo Removal The Cheap & Sleazy thread 😉

Ok to be serious again if you need any further info or advice feel free to post/pm me.

Take Care
    Matthew

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. I’ve forgotten the girl’s name to be honest, but it was at Van Schaicks in Sheffield, a tattoo parlour recommended to me many times. To be honest I think I’ve just been unlucky, as the rest of the work I’ve seen from here has been excellent, and I do not want to give the place a bad name because I honestly believe that they do really good work there. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for what has happened with my tattoo though, it’s just plain carelessness. The annoying thing is I’m happy with the rest of the tattoo. I’ll wait to see what it heals like. She did say I can go back next week and she’ll fix it, but I’ve lost faith in her :-/

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Outlaw;36341 wrote:
    post an image of it in your gallery so we can get a better idea, try making it a clear close shot.
    that way we might be able to give an idea of how well the ink was placed and if there is a chance of it dropping out.

i do feel deeply for you, but dont panic, it aint the end of the world. its amaizing how things can be corrected by some artists..

ps…. you have some great pieces of work on you, i love the piece on your foot 😉

I think you’ve confused me with someone else, I haven’t posted any pics on here and don’t have a tat on my foot :-/

By the way how do you post pics on here. I’ll post the mistake on here and get some opinions.

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler

I’ll attempt to post a pic. Sorry about the quality of the photo, I couldn’t find the lead for my camera so took it with my phone. Just to give you an idea of the actual size, the “t” is approx 3.5 mm tall, the “3” is approx 5mm tall.
    Cheers, Toby

DSC00774.jpg

CONKERS
    Participant
    @conkers

Why not round the bottom of the t to the line and use the top of the t to form the r.

This would make the r sit on top of the rounded part of the d

Just an I dea

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Thats a bad tattoo, did you get it done in a shop or some backyarder? The good thing is it will be easy to cover:D

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Toby

That part of the tattoo will be easy to rework over and I would suggest maybe a different font to make the date stand out more.

This will solve two problems;

1. The mistake on the date.

2. The poor line work on the 23 – I do not mean to offend but that could be a lot better.

I tend to use this site as an example of some of the different font styles

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/Scripture/index.php

BME is also a good site – might inspire you to try a more varied and bolder font.

Take Care
    Matthew

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i do apologise, i clicked on the wrong user………. ooooooops sorry :p

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Sherav;36413 wrote:
    Hi Toby

That part of the tattoo will be easy to rework over and I would suggest maybe a different font to make the date stand out more.

This will solve two problems;

1. The mistake on the date.

2. The poor line work on the 23 – I do not mean to offend but that could be a lot better.

I tend to use this site as an example of some of the different font styles

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/Scripture/index.php

BME is also a good site – might inspire you to try a more varied and bolder font.

Take Care
    Matthew

Well obviously there’s a few people who do not like the font, but I chose the font for sentimental reasons, and pretty much identical to how I printed it out. I believe it looks really effective when seen ‘in the flesh’, and I’m quite picky. Plus everyone Ive shown it to says how effective it looks, and they’re not just being kind 😉 But hey everyone has their opinion, and if others dont like it that’s fine, Im happy with it EXCEPT the unforgiveable mistake. Like I said it’s a poor photo. If I find my camera lead Ill take a better pic. As for how good the execution of the actual ink is I can’t comment as not a tattooist, but it looks as good as any other single line ink Ive seen. Guess Ill know for sure when it heals :-/ I do appreciate your opinions though, and won’t get offended by any criticism, after all not everyone has the same tastes. Is it just the font style that you’re saying is poor, or the execution?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.