Azure
    Participant
    @azure

This is a bit of a newbie question I know, but do fresh tattoos ALWAYS scab?

I’ve had 3, the first one dry healed which scabbed badly obviously, the second used bepanthan and that scabbed a little but didn’t leave any cracks or anything, and the third i got yesterday and despite using bepanthan, it has a really really thick fat scab all over it now.

I’ve read enough things that say, so and so could lead to the tattoo scabbing over which is NOT good… is that bollocks?! How could a fresh tattoo not scab even with the best aftercare – it’s an open wound after all?

Also, does the size and placement of the ink dictate how much it will scab? This one is at the back of my arm at the top, and is probably only about 3 inches by an inch – does the fact it’s small and on a fleshy bit mean it’ll scab more? Just puzzled as to why it’s scabbing so much more than my last one with the same aftercare, that one was big and on a bony area.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Scabbing is a normal part of the healing process and is essential becasue if you pick it – it can lift ink and get cross infected.

You will get variation of scabbing it is just something that occurs my first tattoo scabbed heavily the second didn’t.

Just keep it clean and free from tight clothing and should be ok – if you start to get any leakage (pus) or it goes green then you need to get it looked at by a Dr otherwise in a week or so it will look fine and peel away normally.

Matthew

bigbud
    Participant
    @bigbud

i have several tattoos and had no scabbing
    big scab =badly done tattoo 🙁

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Modern tattoos should not scab, you may get a heavy flaking but if you have a big thick scab it sounds lke you may have been butchered.

zamc08
    Participant
    @zamc08

if you get tattooed, then you should get a scab. because thats how the body heals

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Are we talking about the flake or like a deep cut crust?
    I always refer to both as scabbing but yes some peeps do go real deep in their handywork.
    First guy was heavy handed the second was really light handed – that explains why the diff.

Learned somethin new – thanks peeps. 🙂

Matthew

zamc08
    Participant
    @zamc08

well if you get a tattoo , even if you have been lighty tattooed , or butchered. your body should form a scab over your tattoo to protect your body from infection and to heal your skin from being tattooed

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Yep – It is a cut after all but what I often wondered is – do different inks affect the amount of scabbing or healing time?

Just a thought.

Matthew

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

With modern equipment, method and aftercare a scab is not the result of a well done tattoo, minimal blood will be drawn and you will get flaking but not a scab as we did 20 years. Those who claim thick scabbing is the norm in modern practice are not experienced with modern techniques and equipment, obviously (or should I say your guy aint)
    Their is no need to be heavy handed with a client, unless you don’t give a shit.

Peace!

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher
    Sherav;33667 wrote:
    Yep – It is a cut after all

Matthew

If he is cutting you then I’d visit a pro, save your flesh.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Well cut is maybe misleading – it was a small bit of scratches I didnt bleed much but there was some.

The second guy didn’t hardly draw any blood – I was just curious as I am off back to states soon for my backpiece and wanted to be able to keep mobile as gonna have a lot done in short time and those damn plane seats..

With tattooing always wanting to learn more – so yep I will keep throwing in questions.

Cheers

Matthew

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Buy yourself a silk t-shirt for the plane journey, godsend.

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

Hmm interesting, it is a very thick crust scab not just flakey, seems I’ve been butchered!
    This was done by the second artist at the studio I mentioned in a post the other day (when I was moaning about the other guy hurting me!). The tattoo didn’t hurt at all, or hardly at all, but then it was my first experience of being tattooed on flesh as opposed to bone so that’s probably why, it didn’t bleed though either whereas I bled with my first two.
    Hmm never mind, I think the first guy is doing my big one next week anyway, this is only little so if it goes shitty then won’t be too much hassle to get it touched up, will keep bepanthen-ing it up and see how it goes!

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Are you sure it is a scab, you did clean the surplus ink off?

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

yes you will normally get thin layer of scabbing but this should clear up and start flaking away over about 7 days, it sounds crazy but i scab badly with any red inks and also with just the yellow from starbrite not any others though..

just dont pick at them scabs or it will pull the ink out, if it itches then slap it :p

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.