Mudflapgrlluva85
    @

Hey, I’m getting a new tattoo, and I wanted to see if all you experienced folk out there can help me a little. First off, I want it to be inked flawlessly, and even though I know there is risk in any artist you go to, is there a general way to find the best artist for my job? Secondly, I have searched far and wide for my idea online, and NO one has a flash of my desired tattoo. This said, an artist will have to draw it for me. The Tattoo I want is a Half sleeve (neckline on shoulder to lower bicep and all the way around my arm) and I know this is a large design. Do artist charge to take ideas in the forms of pictures and draw it into one major flash, and if so, is there a going rate? Thirdly, With the size of Tattoo, what price ballpark am I looking for? I want full color, and there is some moderate precision inking going to be required.

Thanks for all the Help,
    Todd

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Todd: Well you’ve come to the right place for this kind of question. First off almost every tattoo artist requires a down payment of 50 or so dollars to work with them, this is to say they are the real deal. Secondly, a lot of artists specialize in a subject matter or style. If you want machinery for example, go to someone who specializes in it. If you want color go to someone who is known for their colored peices. The tattoo is going to be on your body forever so if you’re serious the artist will do the best theycan to appease you. It’s generally a good thing if you can’t find what you want onthe net. This means your ink will be your own aka an original peice of art. (mine was) If you don’t like what the artist has to offer, take your down payment and business else where. Be forewarned, the artist will only let you keep the art they make up for you if you make an offer to pay for it. (generally the down payment.) I’ve not had a sleeve donebefore but depending onthe detail and time spent, you may be paying $700<. I treated my artist to 20% of the cost because that's how much much I appreciated his work but that's up to you. Hope this helped. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

Wise words from Demure and cant really add anything to it other than if you see something along the same theme as what you want on another person then ask them who did it and where — most of us are only to happy to pass on that sort of information to anyone who asks as after all we are walking Billboards for the Artists —sometime you may get lucky and its been done local to you sometimes you may have to travel to get to the artists studio but whatever it takes if you find the right person for the job then hang on to them whatever the cost 🙂

Ironmax
    Participant
    @ironmax

Good advice here all around, I can’t add much. I will say though that if you get a chance to view a particular artist’s work on someone’s skin, you will get a better feel for his/her talent than looking through a portfolio book of pictures. If you can, visit the artist while another customer is there and look at their work. I have found that if you take your time and do your homework, you’ll end up with a better tattoo. Don’t just settle for an artist because he/she happens to be in your home town. I travel over 200 miles round trip each time to see my artist, and it’s the best time and money spent.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Yup.. my tattoo artist is roughly 370 miles away -just- to get there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.