Bexxybex
    Participant
    @bexxybex

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a reason tattooists don’t use something to numb the area first? Like an anaesthetic cream? I’m guessing it’s because the area ‘shuts down’ so wouldn’t accept ink?
    Enlighten me!

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

i heard that some artist will put a cream like that on if you request it but my artist told me a reason why its not a good idea and now i cant remember but he also told me to shut up and suck it up so i told him to kiss my ass! i honestly dont think its good for the tattoo if a cream like that is applied before the tattoo is done. it may screw it up. maybe not dunno

we’ll have to see what everyone else says about it.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

yes there is a topical anesthetic cream , i have 2 brands in my cabinet, they are ametop-gel and emla-cream.
    they are sold in small tubes. you apply it to the area prior to tattooing and cover it with cling film for aprox 20 minutes befor you start. it starts to wear off about 45 minutes later in most cases but sometimes it stay numb for a couple of hours dependant on the skin type and area of application. I do offer the option of it being used but dont like using it, the reason being is that the skin reacts to it and it becomes like a saggy rubber baloon to work on, the tattoo will also take longer to heal.
    in most cases the client will have the pain of the tattoo proceedure once the effects of the cream has worn off, and in some cases the pain is worse.

the last person i used it on had another piece done by me without the cream and said the second one was a better sitting without the cream.

hope that helps bex

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

I remember getting a tattoo over in the states many years ago and thought the guy (a ex Marine) had the lightest touch ever — it wasnโ€™t till afterwards that I found out he had used a numbing cream before during and after that was the only time Iโ€™ve had it —-I did ask about it recently and was told yes I could have it but it may prolong the healing progress (like Outlaw said)—some think it lifts the colours a bit but thatโ€™s just what Ive been told —donโ€™t take it as gospel ๐Ÿ™‚

Bexxybex
    Participant
    @bexxybex

That’s really interesting. I think it would ruin it if there wasn’t any pain involved in tattooing, it’s almost like a right of passage lol

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

I have never used the local anaesthtics for my tattoos but have had them used on a leg operation. I was kinda bored as they were tinkering around with my innards and asked the Dr why he made me fill in a stack of paperwork to use the stuff.

His response was that in very very rare cases ppl can have allergic reactions which can result in breathing/heart problems. But the most common issue was cross infection afterwards – apparently it can make the skin itch like mad and ppl have a go at it with their nails. He said it could also delay skin healing as the skin needed to absorb the stuff and flush it from the area.

On a tangent if we used botox to freeze a section of skin would that make it easier for the artist to work on ‘stiff skin’? ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers

Matthew

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Take a bucket of ice and throw it on your next client and see. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have very sensitive skin, so I’m almost certain I’d get a skin infection or rash.

I’d say tattoo artists don’t use numbing cream for legal reasons. They use the methods that are the easiest and that are less of a hassle. If an artist did use that cream they’d probably have a waver for you to sign saying you wouldn’t sue their ass if something went wrong. There are a ton of papers that you sign before you get a tat anyway.

Also if the texture of the skin has changed and the artist isn’t used to it, perhaps the design of the tat would look awkward…? Just a thought.

If you don’t like pain and you can’t handle it, then don’t get a tattoo. Plain and simple.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

An ideal tattoo shouldn’t be that painfull, definately not painfull enough to warrant numbing ointments. Unfortunately the absolute perfect tattoo artist does not exist.The middle of the day is when I’m at my best (wide awake) and people get through easy. Tattooing is fucking exhausting work although people don’t really think it is and never take it into consideration. After a full days with one client I’ll bet my ass the majority of artists feel it more than the clients.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I can understand. That’s why I tipped my artist the best I could. I’m sure my screaming wasn’t too pleasant either. ๐Ÿ™‚

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Is that from the tattoo or the fuck you never remember?:D

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

In the context of this conversation? The tattoo. Hehe..

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Ahhhhhhh, you bottled that D!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Disapointed in you :p

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

i had my first tattoo when i was 16 on my leg and had the numbing cream it was ametop that was used. hardly painful and 3 years later the colour is still bright and i had no reaction to it.

my second tattoo was done by a friend of a friend who has a home studio. (stupid of me a know) this tattoo is on my spine at the top of my back i had numbing cream on this also. in an 1 1/2 hour session i would not advise getting it numbed as when it wears off (AND IT WILL) it hurts ten times more haha. and wether it is down to his experience or not the what should of been black in has gone a shitty grey.

had my third tattoo on my leg just below my first tattoo and it didnt hurt anyway so i wondered why i bothered the first time haha young and naive is my exuse.

so with my experience in numbing cream id day fuck it and grit your teeth if it starts to hurt!
    apologies for the long post. hope it helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    scrubmuncher;32531 wrote:
    Tattooing is fucking exhausting work although people don’t really think it is and never take it into consideration. After a full days with one client I’ll bet my ass the majority of artists feel it more than the clients.

those are true words bro… ๐Ÿ˜‰

tattoomd
    Participant
    @tattoomd

Having had my first tattoo placed a few months ago, it really wasn’t that bad. It was on my arm, though, so maybe other places hurt more, such as the ankle or behind the ear or the neck. I also do laser tattoo removal and use the anesthetic cream on just about everyone. It does help, it wipes off easily, and has no odors or other annoying properties. The only thing to be careful of is lidocaine toxicity. You should not leave it on a large area (say 150 square centimeters), especially for a while, as it can build up in your blood and make you sick. Small amounts are fine, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.