Dresden
    @

So I turned 18 a few days ago and being the foolish teenager that I am, I’ve decided to get a tattoo. I’ve got a few questions. The first question, of course, is what design to get.. I was told to get something small as my first tattoo. I’ve got several ideas: The chaos symbol, the folk punk ‘Anarchy heart’, something related to Cthulhu mythos, or something meaningful in latin (I was thinking ‘Ex Nihilo, Alea Iacta est’) . I’ve got no ideas about where to put any of these. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Here are the other questions:

Admittedly, I’m a pretty big guy- if I lose/gain weight, will my tattoo get skewed and end up looking strange?

Will the artist sketch my idea, or should I print out what I want and bring it in to the shop?

Are you supposed to tip the artist afterwards?

Also, is there anything else I should know?

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan
    Dresden;30511 wrote:
    So I turned 18 a few days ago and being the foolish teenager that I am, I’ve decided to get a tattoo. I’ve got a few questions. The first question, of course, is what design to get.. I was told to get something small as my first tattoo. I’ve got several ideas: The chaos symbol, the folk punk ‘Anarchy heart’, something related to Cthulhu mythos, or something meaningful in latin (I was thinking ‘Ex Nihilo, Alea Iacta est’) . I’ve got no ideas about where to put any of these. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Admittedly, I’m a pretty big guy- if I lose/gain weight, will my tattoo get skewed and end up looking strange?

Will the artist sketch my idea, or should I print out what I want and bring it in to the shop?

1 dont get a tattoo yet. find something you like give it a month then see ifyou still like it enough to have it on your arm/chest/back forever.

2 you need to lose/gain quite a lot of weight to make your skin stretch

3 no reason they wouldnt. go see anartist and ask them for help thats part of the job

4 tips are not expected

5 there is a lot to learn. spend a bit of time here reading and you will find these answers have been discussed already.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

@Dresden 30511 wrote:

you need to think of a design that you like, print it out and place it on your wall or doorframe where you will see it every day, after a month if you still like then there ya go its the design for you, if you have any repeat any hesitations during that time then pick a new design…… it dont matter how many times you need to do this as it aint a race… the design is on you for ever so make sure its the right one first time ..

your design will only distort out of recognition if you gain or lose vast ammounts of body weight in that area

the artist should be willing to draw something up for you, its part of their job

as for tips…. its not expected but it is a nice gesture ๐Ÿ˜‰

as for anything else to know…….YES IT HURTS :p

like has been said, stick around and do plenty of reading, there is lots you can find out, try looking through some albums,,, you might find the perfect piece you want.

good luck and happy hunting

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

@Dresden 30511 wrote:

1: Hmm i’d make sure im at a weight im happy with before i got a tattoo

2: Print outs of an IDEA for the artist to go by is always helpful but sometimes they can take your oral description and give ya a pretty nice sketch

3: No tips are not expected BUT where im from it is the decent thing to do being as the money they charge you they only get a percentage of so i usually tack on 20-40 extra but thats just me. Piecings too, they start cheap so i usually give them 100% tip. This is just me and I love helping ppl but if you cant afford it dont worry about it.

AND NO IT DOES NOT HURT!!! Dont listen to Outlaw!! :p:p I am the biggest baby when it comes to needles and I handled it like a champ and it was on the back of my neck… most ppl go for the upper arm but nooo i go for the neck and was scared shitless… but it is no where near as bad as i made myself think it would be.

Good luck and do your research first

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

@AhshKoshBGosh 30577 wrote:

AND NO IT DOES NOT HURT!!! Dont listen to Outlaw!! :p:p

๐Ÿ˜€ i dont know what ya mean ๐Ÿ˜€

Bexxybex
    Participant
    @bexxybex

All I got when I showed people my design was ‘shouldn’t you have something smaller for your first?’. Answer: No, have what you love!! Also, I didn’t want to clutter up my skin with smaller tatts that I didn’t really love, you know?

onecomm
    Participant
    @onecomm

Like I say in my other posts…i cant stress this enough….take your time before you do it….a tattoo is not something to rush in to…..100% sure? Do it…..1% doubt? wait until you find one that you really want!!

Ironmax
    Participant
    @ironmax

Tipping an artist is up to you. I don’t think they expect it, but when you find a good artist who does amazing things and you want to go back, it’s not a bad idea in my opinion. I go to the same guy all the time and trust him completely. My last tattoo cost me $200 and I gave him a $30 tip and told him to take his wife out for breakfast. He and I have formed a pretty good relationship. It works both ways, with the artist learning what the customer likes, and you’ll find he/she will often go the extra mile for you.

DARKSIDE INKS
    @

what ever u do make sure u happy with it before hand REMEMBER ITS ON U FOR LIFE AS turbo and out law have said take your time above anything eles its no race its art ….

and no decent artist will reqiure a tip hes /she is getting the money for the ink they put on u tip them if u like but its nt required , ask them advise most who are worth there worth will happly sit and talk wth u b4 heand and go threw any doubts u have … but if your thinking or hesitating to much rethink it b4 u get it ..

theres plenty off posts up in the forum about all this stuff dude . check em out knowledge is free … :>

good luk man .. hope it works out for ya …. oh and deppending on the person it may hurt .. remeber its a tattoo not a massage and its nt gnna tikkle ;> …. they do use needles and it does go in to the skin .. but some peaple hanndle it better than others … frm my expierance the bigger one usaly keel over b4 the wee skinn chik does lol

:>dsi

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

@Outlaw 30611 wrote:

๐Ÿ˜€ i dont know what ya mean ๐Ÿ˜€

LOL i know it all depends on where ya get the tatt but dont scare the poor kid!! Most places dont hurt!! Sometimes it feels reeeeaaaallll gooooood ๐Ÿ˜€

DARKSIDE INKS
    @

… u have to be realistic its a tattoo its gnna hurt MAYBE??? ITS NT GNNA TIKLE AND AGAIN DEPPENDS WERE U GET IT .. BUT AS I SAID IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i normally get a chuckle from clients, when they look above my mirror :p
    dontworry.jpg

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

LMAOOO thats awesome!! totally!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.