Nahguavkire
    Participant
    @nahguavkire

Hi,
    I’m going to Thailand next week and I’m planning to get my first tattoo, more than likely while in bangkok, hopefully Jimmy Wong’s if I can. I’ve been looking up many websites with regard to aftercare and so far I’ve read that you shouldn’t swim or take baths for a few weeks after getting your tattoo done. I was wondering if anyone would have advice on this as I don’t want to A: Ruin my new tattoo or B: Get a tattoo done and then have to spend the rest of my holiday nursing it…..

I’m planning to get quite a big one done on my side/ribcage under my left arm from about nipple height to waist.

Would anyone be able to give me advice on this as it seems to me that although a tattoo is an open wound surely swimming in the sea couldn’t be bad for it as it’s not bad for any other cuts………

Any advice would really be apprecitaed and I know healing times are different for different people but if anyone out therre could tell me how long they’d expect a tattoo like this to take to heal I’d appreciate it too ’cause if it’s going to take more than a week to get a bit hardy I might just wait until I get home.

Thanks for any advice you wish to impart
    Erik

Samantha_ann19
    Participant
    @samantha_ann19

Dont go swimming in the sea. Its not that you cant go swimming with other cuts its just the water can fade and draw out the ink. You do not need to nurse it just use common sence. dont go swimming or hold your body under water for a long period of time. Bandaging it up to go swimming also wont help as its not water tight. You can wash hands do dishes and take showers of course. Keep the tattoo relativly dry, clean and sanatized. I used Savlon for my tattoo im not sure what anyone else used but Savlon worked great for me and I was all heald within a week. DO NOT pick at your tattoo or scratch it, if it gets itchy clean it. Do not bandage your tattoo fresh air will do it good. DO NOT SWIM with your tattoo sea water is not only dirty it would sting and draw out the ink. you do not have to baby it.

Samantha

Samantha_ann19
    Participant
    @samantha_ann19

Oh, also your tattoo is large so it will take more than a week to heal. If the tattoo is as large as you say, its going to take more than one session to complete so it would probably be a better decision to wait. Usually they do the outline one day or do the shading and outline one day and then 2 weeks after thats healed they color it or fill it in. Its usually 3 hour sessions so it really depends on your tolerancy and the tattooist. Personally I think its hard to sit for long if its your first time. I would strongly suggest you wait because tattoos take 2 weeks to heal and bigger ones take a bit longer.

Nahguavkire
    Participant
    @nahguavkire

Ok, I see what you mean about the ink running, well now that I know it’s probably going to take longer to heal I might just wait until I get home to get it done…..or maybe get the design done at the end of the trip and get it filled at home

Thanks so much,
    Erik

dimantslv
    Participant
    @dimantslv

Samantha, your info was helpfull for me! 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.