mbond
    @

Hello, nice forum you guys got here, hope to become very active was wondering I’m really serious about getting into tattooing and was just wondering what stuff I need to begin, is there any good kits out there that include everything and a good gun to begin tattooing. Ive searched around the net and seen alot of stuff but would rather come and get advice from an artist or from someone who knows of a place to get everything I need to start tattooing.

Thanks,

Mike

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

its kinda the same as anything

you get what you pay for.

if you want to start tattooing you learn from a proffesional and you buy good equipment or you learn to scratch and you get shouted at.

you will find that tattoo artists are not too forthcoming with their expertise unless your willing to pay them a lot of money for it.

in the uk i know you would expect top pay around £1k per year of experience of the tattooist

But dont expect them to just say “yeah sure come in siot down and this is what you do”

jvchapp
    Participant
    @jvchapp

I’ve found it very helpful to go to NewYorkTattoo.com and order their Intro to Tattooing DVD. It cost $24.95 but it is worth it. Very informative. He goes through the steps to set up your machine and then stenciling and actual tattooing (lining and shading). Of course you’ll need practice but this is a good place to start. They also have kits for sale there that will get you what you need. If you want to do this professionally though, I would recommend something that comes with a sterilzing autoclave (for safety reasons).

I’ve read a few books on machines and one guy says that those made of stainless steel (you can find them everywhere) work, but they don’t conduct electricity as well as those made of iron, brass or copper.

Good luck.

I asked for help with something similar to this a while back but no one responded. It seems like tattooing is some sort of special protected art that you aren’t allowed to share information about. I ended up doing my own research. Books, dvds, online articles… I’m no expert but this is what helped me.

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

thanks for the good post jvchapp

it is true that tattoo artists are not very forthcoming with help unless your paying for it.

It is still a somewhat touchy subject and i have asked a few different people about various setups for guns etc and they do not want to say anything. It may just be down to the fact that there is only so much work to go around and the more tattoo artists the less work there is.

plus the tattoo artist you asking for help may well have paid out a lot of time and money to learn his trade and that gives the skills they possess more value than it might otherwise carry.

I will check out that DVD and possibly find out if we can get some links going through to it.

jinny123
    Participant
    @jinny123

I tried to find info on gun setup ages ago and got told in uncertain terms to either pay for the apprentice place or piss off. not very happy but as turbo says above it is probably because they paid a lot when they started so its only fair.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.