milec1990
Participant
@milec1990

Hi

I am new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice from some tattoo experts 🙂

I got my first tattoo on Tuesday evening (about a week ago now) on my right arm. I have been following the care instructions given to me by the tattoo artist and was very careful with it for the first 48 hours, making sure to clean it properly and apply Bepanthen. After the first night it was weepy and there was some ink coloured liquid which I read is normal so I cleaned it and applied the cream. By day 2 it seemed to be healing well and was no longer weeping but I continued to clean it and apply the cream, keeping it wrapped at night so it didn’t rub against my sheets while I slept.

On Saturday night (about 96 hours after getting the tattoo) I made the last minute decision to go out. I was drinking a lot but I was still very careful not to let people touch or rub against my tattoo. When I get home I noticed that my tattoo had started peeling and I freaked out thinking that I had stuffed it. I showed it to my friends who have tattoos the next day and they all assured me that it looks fine and that it will peel and the colour doesn’t look as dark as it heals but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Is it okay to go out with a new tattoo 4 days after getting it? I know it takes a few weeks for it to fully heal but I just want to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong. I want it to look as good as possible.

Thanks!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

It’s fine you didn’t break it

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@milec1990 147532 wrote:

Is it okay to go out with a new tattoo 4 days after getting it? I know it takes a few weeks for it to fully heal but I just want to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong. I want it to look as good as possible.

Welcome to the forum.
As long as you keep it clean and dust free there is no reason you can’t go out even sooner. I just got a large tattoo on my lower arm on the first day of a three day convention. (10:00 AM til 2:00 AM with all the partying) I just washed it occasionally, applied a NON PETROLEUM ointment, and was careful with it and I had no problems.

Yours will be fine.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I have always heard to never use sunscreen/sunblock on a unhealed tattoo. Tattoos can take months to heal. That being said I have never heard a good reason why not use sunscreen on a fully healed tattoo.

milec1990
Participant
@milec1990

@Sam-I-Am 147552 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
As long as you keep it clean and dust free there is no reason you can’t go out even sooner. I just got a large tattoo on my lower arm on the first day of a three day convention. (10:00 AM til 2:00 AM with all the partying) I just washed it occasionally, applied a NON PETROLEUM ointment, and was careful with it and I had no problems.

Yours will be fine.

Thanks guys, you have helped put my mind at ease.

I haven’t been washing it continually, only twice a day. It’s at the peeling stage so I’m trying to leave it alone and let it do its thing. I’m not picking at it or scratching it and I’ve been wearing sleeveless as much as possible. I just give it a thorough wash with antibacterial soap and apply the cream once in the morning and once at night before bed.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

It sounds like you have everything under control. What’s your next tattoo?

Keep us poster.

Dan
Participant
@dan

@milec1990 147532 wrote:

Hi

I am new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice from some tattoo experts 🙂

I got my first tattoo on Tuesday evening (about a week ago now) on my right arm. I have been following the care instructions given to me by the tattoo artist and was very careful with it for the first 48 hours, making sure to clean it properly and apply Bepanthen. After the first night it was weepy and there was some ink coloured liquid which I read is normal so I cleaned it and applied the cream. By day 2 it seemed to be healing well and was no longer weeping but I continued to clean it and apply the cream, keeping it wrapped at night so it didn’t rub against my sheets while I slept.

On Saturday night (about 96 hours after getting the tattoo) I made the last minute decision to go out. I was drinking a lot but I was still very careful not to let people touch or rub against my tattoo. When I get home I noticed that my tattoo had started peeling and I freaked out thinking that I had stuffed it. I showed it to my friends who have tattoos the next day and they all assured me that it looks fine and that it will peel and the colour doesn’t look as dark as it heals but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

the peeling is actually a good sign that it’s healing and healing properly.now the itching stage will come,but don’t scratch it.

zombae8723
Participant
@zombae8723

Be sure not to apply too much cream, be greedy with it. It’s better to put too little than too much. Sorry if you already know this, just making sure you know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.