NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

Hi all,

New to the forums! I was wondering if you could help me…

I am looking to find a specific tattoo studio, somewhere in Iceland. I want to visit Iceland and go to the studio where Kiefer Sutherland got his “I Trust You To Kill Me” tattoo, as featured in the documentary by the same name.

There is a good interior shot of the studio in this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WNFiOTu6vE

There are no exterior shots and there is also no mention of the name of this studio. Does anyone recognise it? I think it might be in Reykjavik but not positive on that…

Any help you can give would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

And why would you want to go to that specific studio? It’s just a mediocre tattoo, one that can be done by any somewhat competent tattoo artist anywhere in the world.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’m prety sure the tattooer is Kat von D and the shop is LA Ink or HIgh Voltage or whatever the hell it’s called.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Umh… no.

NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

I haven’t been out of the country for years, wanted to go somewhere different, and also want to get that tattoo. That’s reason enough to go for me. It’s not the fact that any half-decent tattoo artist could do it, it’s the fact that I want to go to that place. ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™‚

And somehow… I don’t think it was LA Ink! :p

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well that place, wherever it is, (I’m working on finding out for you and will get back to you on that) is not known to me and I doubt it’s any of the better artists in the country.

Also, did you know that tattoos in Iceland are among the most, of not THE most expensive tattoos in the world?

Oh, and copying someone else’s personal and meaningful ink… not cool. Why not get some saying of your own in runes, if it’s the runes you like so much?

NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

The quote has massive and deep meaning to me. It’s what it stands for that matters. I love the runes, but its the words that mean the most. Besides, it’s not like evey single tattoo in the world is unique…

Thanks for checking into it for me!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, this is a pretty old video.

The artist is called Fjรถlnir, and he was one of the greats and a legend in Iceland. I can understand why Kiefer would have chosen him at the time. Fjรถlnir got very heavily into drugs, and it got to the point where he could not tattoo when straight. My sister got 3 or 4 from him, and every time he had to excuse himself to either smoke some MJ, or come back with white powder on his nose. :S

He apprenticed John Paul, the greatest tattoo artist in the country, but when things got a bit too much, JP left and started his own shop and apprenticed Bรบri.. the guy that did my tattoo ๐Ÿ™‚

Fjรถlnir has since then cleaned up and now holds a spot working ‘for’ JP, as much as any tattoo artist can actually work FOR another tattoo artist in a tattoo shop. At least he now works there with JP and Bรบri and one new guy I know nothing about.

You can find artist info, contact info and galleries here:
http://www.icelandtattoo.com/listamenn/

When I was there last, the fee was $140 US for every started hour, including the time taken to draw up the tat and create the stencil. Considering our economy, the price will not have gone down.. perhaps it has gone up.

NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

Thanks for all the info! I have seen on their website that they are not taking appointments for 1-2 years! That’s really disappointing. I guess I will just get it done in the UK instead.

Thanks for your help though!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Actually, it’s only JP that has a 1-2 year waiting list. Fjรถlnir (the guy you asked about) has a 2-3 month waiting list.

If you’re dead-set on the runes, though, here’s the alphabet:

http://alrun.is/html/about_runic_letters.html

stubarber
Participant
@stubarber

excellent help there, ArniVidar.

NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

Once again, thanks for all your help. ๐Ÿ™‚ Interestingly though, the Runic alphabet you linked to gives a different result:

From your alphabet:
Runes.jpg

Kiefer’s tattoo:
ITrustYouToKillMeFINAL.jpg

Is there any reason for the differences?

The “I” and “Y” on Kiefer’s are the same – I just assumed that was because there was no literal translation. Are there different Runic alphabets?

NinjaMonkeyUK
Participant
@ninjamonkeyuk

Once again, thanks for all your help. ๐Ÿ™‚ Interestingly though, the Runic alphabet you linked to gives a different result:

From your alphabet:
Runes.jpg

Kiefer’s tattoo:
ITrustYouToKillMeFINAL.jpg

Is there any reason for the differences?

The “I” and “Y” on Kiefer’s are the same – I just assumed that was because there was no literal translation. The “R”, “T”, “O” and “K” are all different too.

Are there different Runic alphabets?

ArniVidar
@arnividar
NinjaMonkeyUK;81075 wrote:
Are there different Runic alphabets?

Quite a few, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet#Script_variants

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.