julieann
    @

I want to get a quote tattoo on my rib cage.

I have a rare disease that I got diagnosed with in childhood and I want to get a quote representing how I’ve overcome it.

I was thinking the four words:

Strength
    Beauty
    Courage
    Love

Each one has its own meaning to me but essential without this diagnosis I would not be who I am right now.

Either that or one of these:

Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for my heart to conquer it.

Love your life, perfect your life, and beautify all things in your life.

We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, “Why did this happen to me?”, unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way.

Or

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Please let me know what you think!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

You’ll find that many people in this forum have little time for tribal, or text tattoos.
    I don’t care for them, but if that’s what you really want, go for it. Just be absolutly sure to get a really good artist.
    Text tattoos can really turn out horrible. The lettering has to be absolutly consistant in thickness of the lines, spacing, height, and width. Just Google misspelled tattoos. Recently a member wrote in to find out if the cursive “m” was correct as it had only two humps. (that was a cursive “n”) That goof really messed up the family names since the artist did the same thing on her husband.
    Keep us posted.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Yep, I deem text tattoos a waste of good canvas.

Have some beautiful artwork instead, it will look so much nicer.

I hope your female lol as I assumed you are with the tattoos below 🙂

2urqj2f.jpg

OR

fz4yog.jpg

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

As the others have said text tattoos are trendy and boring. Try to find a image that represents the words remember a picture is worth a thousand words. Strength beauty love and courage scream lion tattoo.

41.jpg

Or

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I’m going to play devil’s advocate. I do like some text tattoo, and I have a rather large one in Tengwar (one of Tolkein’s elvish languages). The majority of people who’ve seen it have pleasant things to say about it. I am still in love with it after a year.

Text tattoos aren’t the dead ends people play them out to be. While you’ll have a challenge if you wish to tattoo a portrait of Shirley Temple holding a monkey over it, they can be added to, and around. I’m in the midst of planning a rose to go at the bottom of the piece inspired both by lyrics from “The Road Goes Ever On,” and Chapter IV in Les Mis, “A Rose in Misery.” So you ca do different things with a quote tattoo. You’re not as stuck as people would like you to think.

However, those words are a little played out. I’ve seen a lot of tattoos like that. The spoken/written word is a thing of power. Do not come lightly to the blank page, or in this case, the blank body.

Don’t be afraid of allusion and symbolism in either words or in a drawing tattooed on. When I reflect on my personal battle with ovarian cancer, a few quotes that ran through my own head:

“Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.” – Fits well with something like “Starry, Starry Night”

“Get busy living, or get busy dying.” – Any of the traditional symbols of life and death are lovely with this.

volatileghost
    Participant
    @volatileghost

Great ideas mentioned above! I have a tattoo on my back that is tribal and I wish I could put something so much more beautiful there now, and the ribs are a great please to put a tattoo, just make sure you use that canvas space well!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Darling, you are most welcome. I just added to my text tattoo today, and an artist whose won a few awards told me the piece looked solid together. It’s upside down, but:

2il22zd.jpg

I’m tickled pink with the result. See? You are not doomed to a blank page!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.