GloveSave
Participant
@glovesave

Hey everyone, my name is Aaron! I just joined here because I am looking to get my first tattoo. I’m a bad artist but I drew something up that I really like. It’s rough but I was hoping people could tell me what they think. The significance of this tattoo was inspired by a Yes song(I’ve seen all Good People). Thats where the lyrics come from. It’s one of my favorite songs and I love the imagery and uses of chess phrases to describe life. The mountain in the background is Grandfather Mountain in NC, it’s somewhere my father and I went often and I have a lot of good memories from. I wanted to add more, perhaps clouds and a skyline design with a bird. I also wasn’t sure want font to use for the lyric so if anyone knows of any that would match that would also be nice. Rant over, thanks for any help in advance!

SCN_0001-1.jpg

Adler
Participant
@adler

Interesting idea and unique. I also like Yes and like that song as well but I’m not artistically creative at all. A couple of thoughts, though, is if you’re going to use chess pieces like the song you need to have a queen since that’s the piece referenced in the song. Also, I’m not sure how the chesspieces will fit with the mountain but it might work and I like the idea of a background of sky and bird or something. I’m also not sure you even need they lyric at all, it might clutter it up too much and be unnecessary.
The key to something like this and every tattoo is finding the right artist so maybe we can help you depending on your location.

GloveSave
Participant
@glovesave
Adler;86258 wrote:
Interesting idea and unique. I also like Yes and like that song as well but I’m not artistically creative at all. A couple of thoughts, though, is if you’re going to use chess pieces like the song you need to have a queen since that’s the piece referenced in the song. Also, I’m not sure how the chesspieces will fit with the mountain but it might work and I like the idea of a background of sky and bird or something. I’m also not sure you even need they lyric at all, it might clutter it up too much and be unnecessary.
The key to something like this and every tattoo is finding the right artist so maybe we can help you depending on your location.

Thanks for the ideas. I was also toying with the idea of removing the lyric. I guess you are right about the Queen, I missed that. I figured it could be either the king or queen. I live in NC. I was kind of just messing around with ideas. If not a mountain then what else could I add? Thanks again!

Evilrhoda
Participant
@evilrhoda

I live in NC too. I got my tattoo at Skin Art by Randy in Gastonia, I don’t know if that’s near you but he did a great job. He was fairly fast too which is a bonus if you’re sensitive like me, it took less than an hour for a pretty detailed five by five inch tattoo. They wouldn’t let my mom sit with me though, so keep that in mind if you wanted someone to hold your hand.

GloveSave
Participant
@glovesave
Evilrhoda;86279 wrote:
I live in NC too. I got my tattoo at Skin Art by Randy in Gastonia, I don’t know if that’s near you but he did a great job. He was fairly fast too which is a bonus if you’re sensitive like me, it took less than an hour for a pretty detailed five by five inch tattoo. They wouldn’t let my mom sit with me though, so keep that in mind if you wanted someone to hold your hand.

Thanks for the tips!

Adler
Participant
@adler
GloveSave;86264 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I was also toying with the idea of removing the lyric. I guess you are right about the Queen, I missed that. I figured it could be either the king or queen. I live in NC. I was kind of just messing around with ideas. If not a mountain then what else could I add? Thanks again!

I’m not saying the mountain won’t look good it’s just a weird combination of chess pieces with a nature scene. Like I said, I’m not artistic so maybe the uniqueness will actually look good unless you want to do a chess board but I don’t think that’ll look very good.
In case you’re interested, a few NC artists that come to mind are Taylor Cort (if he’s still there), Andy Chambers, Darrin White, Mario Bell, Gabe Sandy…Google them they’re good.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I would suggest ditching the lyrics also. And if the song refereences the queen, definitely get that. Besides, the queen has all the power in chess. The king is just a figurehead. Reminds me of Clinton’s presidency.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.