Getwasted
Participant
@getwasted

http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3928&pictureid=8072

I’ve wanted to get this train done on my forearm for awhile now. I want to have it start about an inch away from my wrist so I’ll be able to conceal it with a dress shirt and it won’t interfere with any military interests I may come across in the future and it will end right before my bicep.. taking up my whole inner forearm. I want the guitarist slash http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3928&pictureid=8078 to be riding it while holding his guitar in one hand instead of the chick. To finish it off if theres any room left near the top of my forearm I’d like to spell out rock on possibly with either flames or smoke coming from the trains exhaust.

More pictures of the train are in my photo album.. I would really like to hear any opinions or suggestions you may have…

Thank you for your time

Edit: Picture of slash

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Looks to be a cool idea. I wouldn’t use that exact image, artist these days can do amazing things and that image is a bit cartoony. Find a really good custom tattooer with a very good rep and ask them thier thoughts on how far they can take it.

Getwasted
Participant
@getwasted

Yeah it’s not gonna be as cartoony but it will be just about the same angle just a lil more slanted so more of the side of the train can be seen because a lot of the more unique detail of the train is on it’s side. I need the angle so slash can be seen clearly and him throwing up the sign just pops more.

The artist is Mike Parsons. As this is my first tattoo i’m looking for as much advice, opinions, and suggestions as possible and I thank you for your reply.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, I sure hope you don’t plan on using that train, because it looks like crap as it is. Velvet Revolver cover or no, it’s poorly drawn and would always make the tattoo artist seem unskilled. If I ever saw ink anywhere close to looking like that does, I’d call that Grade-A scratcher result.

leefishlock
Participant
@leefishlock

It’s a good idea bud. definatley could do with some more detail.

I love how offensive some people are in this forum, there is no need to be so abrupt and rude when offering criticsm and adivce.

Getwasted
Participant
@getwasted
ArniVidar;76566 wrote:
Well, I sure hope you don’t plan on using that train, because it looks like crap as it is. Velvet Revolver cover or no, it’s poorly drawn and would always make the tattoo artist seem unskilled. If I ever saw ink anywhere close to looking like that does, I’d call that Grade-A scratcher result.

Thanks for the reply.

I would have expected to see more suggestions on detailing, positioning, shading, and color from a moderator on a tattoo forum then an outward bash on an idea. Well here is the glory of tattoo’s.. they are based on ones individuality.. so while you see a pile of crap.. I see potential artwork tied to a band that I love and I will sport it with pride when it’s finished.

Anyway, narrow it down for me.. what part of the train would you like to see more detail? Would you find a side view more appealing then the front on approach? Should I use a lighter red on the actual tattoo? Should I Keep the flaming exhausts? Surely you don’t feel like the whole train is garbage… if so then.. i dont know what to tell you cause i’m getting it eventually lol.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
leefishlock;76567 wrote:
I love how offensive some people are in this forum, there is no need to be so abrupt and rude when offering criticsm and adivce.

I am not trying to be offensive, nor do I believe I was rude. I am giving my opinion, just as the OP asked.

Getwasted;76575 wrote:
I would have expected to see more suggestions on detailing, positioning, shading, and color from a moderator on a tattoo forum then an outward bash on an idea.

I am only a moderator on a tattoo forum. That does not make me a tattoo artist, or in any way an expert on all things ink. I am just a tattoo enthusiast and a regular here ๐Ÿ™‚

Getwasted;76575 wrote:
here is the glory of tattoo’s.. they are based on ones individuality.. so while you see a pile of crap.. I see potential artwork tied to a band that I love and I will sport it with pride when it’s finished.

I am glad you feel this way. If you want to get ink, get the ink YOU want and fuck everybody else’s opinions on it. My opinion does not match yours, nor does it really have to ๐Ÿ™‚

Getwasted;76575 wrote:
Anyway, narrow it down for me.. what part of the train would you like to see more detail? Would you find a side view more appealing then the front on approach? Should I use a lighter red on the actual tattoo? Should I Keep the flaming exhausts? Surely you don’t feel like the whole train is garbage… if so then.. i dont know what to tell you cause i’m getting it eventually lol.

LOL, sorry but yes, I do in fact think the whole drawing, from beginning to end, top to bottom, side to side, looks like was drawn by someone with very little artistic ability. It looks like something a kid might draw at school.. you know, a cool train with hot-rod tires and a V8 engine roaring flames.

That being said so you don’t think I’m completely retarded I am fully aware that this is drawn by an artist, exactly as he or she wanted it to look. This then becomes a music video for Velvet Revolver, and you like the band, the song and the video, and thus this train.

I just don’t think it looks good, and it will never look good. It’s extremely flat and lifeless, the little life it gets it gets from absurd angles poorly designed to show depth in an otherwise very 2D image.

After getting it done, only a handful of people are even going to get that it’s a VR thing, while the rest of the world will see a mediocre picture on you and wonder why on earth you put a V motor on a train. Then in 10 years or so, when you’re probably bored with VR, you yourself will think “crap, I wish I had gotten something else”.

If you want it, all the power in the world to you bro. I wish you wouldn’t, but I’m just an ass with an opinion.

Getwasted
Participant
@getwasted

You’re right about the whole moderating thing and not being a tattoo artist. I was just hoping since you mod a tattoo forum you might have come across a couple of techniques on ways to make a ‘flat and lifeless’ idea better.

I don’t quite understand why you’d think I’ll get bored of it. I mean after reading what you said you make it sounds like I should just get a sleeve of skulls, maybe a dragon, OR perhaps a pretty koi fish swimming up my forearm ๐Ÿ™‚ because everyone knows what all those things are and they will always be ‘cool’. I apologize, I tend to stray from the packs of sheep.. OH theres another idea! A SHEEP! Those are pretty cool and everyone knows what it is so I’ll never get bored of it! -_-

leefishlock
Participant
@leefishlock

I’m really liking the Sheep idea dude. Maybe a full back piece?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I fail to see how my words can be understood in such a way that you’d belive I want you to stay traditional in your ink, but if you’d want to go for “a pretty koi swimming up your arm” and showed me a koi drawn in the same style as that VR video, I would have the exact same problem with it. The train idea is all fine and dandy. I have nothing againt that. I think, however, that this train looks bad.

As for making the idea look less lifeless, I don’t belive it can be done if you plan on following the whole premise of getting THIS train on you.

Either you’re celebrating VR, in which case you’ll use their work unchanged, or you completely leave their work alone and bring your own to the table.

Again, just my opinion and there are quite a few very competent artists in here who can perhaps disgree with me ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.