Soon2BInkd
Participant
@soon2binkd

I know I want the tattoo on my upper left shoulder. I know I want it to be very simple and able to be added on to. I want it to be small to medium sized. The butterflies are a custom design i came up with- they represent the angel babies we have. The vine i found online, but the flowers represent our living children. All of the colors will be everyones birthstone colors. The vine will likely be green as its my favorite color. However I cant figure out which design i like best so I need help!

Idea 1: I like it but i sort of feel like its too detailed (vine wise) and wont easily be added to
Jenstattoo-1.jpg

Idea 2: I like it but i dont like how its not whimsical, just sort of boring
jentat3.jpg

Idea 3: I like it the best but i wonder if its too simple?
jentat4.jpg

Keep in mind, the butterflies design is closer to Idea #1. Which one is best? Which one can be added onto later more easily? I like the simplicity of the butterflies and i want that in the vine/flowers but i also want some detailing.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

you should consult an artist to get the best feedback for your questions.

Soon2BInkd
Participant
@soon2binkd

I know, i plan to. I just wanted to get some other peoples feedback as well. 😉

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Just my 2 cents.
These designs are very simple and I realize that is what you are going for, but, once they are on your skin it will look like you got a crappy tattoo. Not that I care what other people think, but you should consider the fact that people will say “you shoulda gone to a good artist”. You can go to the best artist around and have them do this for you and it will still look like a four year old did it.
I would talk with an artist in your area and let them know what you are looking for and see what they can come up with. The concept is solid but you can do way better with the design.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

Personally I don’t like the butterflies at all. It looks a bit elementary to me. I’d go for some more detail in them. Make them look real and you can all the swrily stuff which I think would be fine.

Soon2BInkd
Participant
@soon2binkd

oh. um, ok. Im not sure how to respond. I guess ill keep brainstorming.
🙁

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Sorry Jennifer, but I agree with the other two.

Although I am a great admirer of cartoons and drawings in general, the way you’ve set it up looks like something I’d draw up. I am a horrid drawer, I’m afraid, so that is no complement. The way you’ve drawn it up, it would in my opinion always look unfinished or even poorly executed just because of that.

That being said, I should like you to think on this:

Getting inked is (at least in my opinion) a seriously personal thing. I choose my designs because they speak to me and tell my story, and I don’t give a rat’s ass about whether or not other people like them. If I should like a simple design (my personal preferences lean towards the incredibly detailed) I would put that simple design on me and screw anybody that had anything negative to say about it.

You created this design because it has incredible meaning to you. You designed the butterflies like they are because you liked them that way. If you take your design concept to a real tattoo artist, he or she will improve on your ideas and create a drawing much more alive and ‘complete’. That should be your starting point from here. Find a GOOD artist and pay him or her to create a design for you.

As for the three choices, I don’t like the first one at all. It has no flow to it. The second is much better, but the vines are really tribal to me. The third has the best flow, and as such is the best choice there.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I too agree with the others. And honestly, you might think those pics are exactly what you want, but you should see what an competant tattoo artist can do. They can usually take what you think looks awesome, and make it even better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.