Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Ok, So I’m working on an Idea and I wanted to get feedback from you all. The idea I have is an open water battle between a british ship and a pirate ship. The Pirate ship will be on my right peck, with some water and stuff the english ship will be on my right shoulder blade on my back. Over my shoulder they will be firing canon balls over at each other and I’m sure there will be some more detail in the sky.

Thoughts? Suggestions? It’s supposed to be a pretty dramatic, realistic battle scene.

bails
Participant
@bails

Sounds good. Maybe include some clouds on top of your shoulder

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Will they be close enough to have a pirate or two swinging over on the rigging?

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

sounds dope! are u planning to have the entire ship on both pieces? if you dont have big pecs, it might be tough to fit a whole ship. there are so many possibilities with this idea, i love it! do u have an artist in mind?

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease add captain jack sparrow 😛

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

That sounds pretty awesome!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

THe idea would be to have 2 complete ships, one on the front and one on the back, full mast and very detailed. I would think that playing with the perspective would be fun so its not the sides of both ships- making it 3d would be the key. I wonder if it would be possible to make it look like you can see through my body to the other ship on both sides? has anyone seen anything like this?

What I mean is that on my chest you’ll see the pirate ship in the foreground and the british ship in the background and on my back the british ship with be in the foreground and the pirate ship in the back. then I could do sky over the shoulder with some crazy clouds and other stuff. This sounds like it would be too much though, what do you guys think.

More importantly, this would take an incredible artist, any suggestions? if I go through with this money and wait time wouldn’t really be a problem so aim as high as possible!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
Gsouder;70944 wrote:
THe idea would be to have 2 complete ships, one on the front and one on the back, full mast and very detailed. I would think that playing with the perspective would be fun so its not the sides of both ships- making it 3d would be the key. I wonder if it would be possible to make it look like you can see through my body to the other ship on both sides? has anyone seen anything like this?

What I mean is that on my chest you’ll see the pirate ship in the foreground and the british ship in the background and on my back the british ship with be in the foreground and the pirate ship in the back. then I could do sky over the shoulder with some crazy clouds and other stuff. This sounds like it would be too much though, what do you guys think.

More importantly, this would take an incredible artist, any suggestions? if I go through with this money and wait time wouldn’t really be a problem so aim as high as possible!

color or b/g?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Undecided. I’m working on a full sleeve from Nick that’s all B/G so I’m going to want some color next but if this would look better b/g then I’ll do that.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

my opinion is b/g. but color would be awesome as well. and i think your 3d idea wouldnt work only because that would be too much detail crammed into a pec. i mean obviously it can be done but it will definitely get muddy later on down the line. i still think if you want the full pirate ship with all the sails and masts and all, one pec would not be enough. something like this would look much better on each rib. but of course that is just my opinion…

i will do a little research and try to find some artists to recommend to you.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I agree with the size issues and the ribs would be a better place. I hesitate getting anything below the pecks though because, at 33, I have a small belly that I am trying like hell to get rid of but having a hard time doing so. That’s why I was thinking this area. I wouldn’t mind going larger but I’m nervous about the ribs for this reason. I wouldn’t mind going below the pecks a bit to get the detail I am looking for.

I agree about the 3d idea too. I think that would make a cool double panel painting though if anyone out is an artist…

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

that is the reason why i dont have anything on my ribs and stomach area. im 33 also and i also have a small (ok big) gut so i dont want to get anything in that area, lol. what about a whole back piece with one ship in the foreground and one in the background? who knows maybe your idea will work perfectly?

but anyways, i think someone like paul booth can make it all eerie and sick b/g. i also think robert hernandez will KILL something like this, although i dont think he has done any pirate ships, he is someone who can make a turd look dope. but both those artists have INSANE waiting lists. heck i been trying to get hernandez to do something on me forever, and i know 2 artists pretty well that he guest spots at every year…

a sampling of hernandez
l_0cbee64d2439bc2d5d185c584ae87a00.jpg

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

That tat is crazy good! The problem I have with a back piece is that it’s an awful lot of time, money and pain for something I will almost never see. I have a tat on my back now and I have a general idea what it is but I couldn’t draw it for you with out looking. That’s why I was looking for something on the front and back…. I think you are right though, to do this right it needs to be big.

I tried to get Bob Tyrell for my sleeve and he never got back to me. I’m glad it worked out that way because I think Nick is just as good and I don’t have to fly to anywhere to see him. I don’t know how to get the attention of this big shot guys… it seems like the only real way in is to know someone. That’s why I asked you in another thread how you do it.

I have my chest and my left arm open. I was thinking about getting something from Whitney Lenox. She’s pretty new to the tattoo world but her pin ups are really nice. Plus she’s pretty hot which doesn’t hurt. Here’s something of hers that I like:

WhitneyLenox.jpg

Anyway, I don’t know what I’m going to do but my space is limited so I have to be careful what I put where. I know I want high quality work so I’m ok with waiting.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i think when an artist sees that you have quality work and/or work from one of the greats in the industry, then they are more willing to do some work on you. i dont know how much of that statement is true, but that is a theory i have.

my first actual big piece was from aaron bell, who happens to be a legend in the tattoo industry, and once artists found out i had gotten a piece from him it seemed pretty easy to get appointments with some of the heavyweights in the industry.

i actually got lucky getting an appointment with aaron at the san jose convention. i sent him an email with the design i had in mind and he hit me back fairly quickly. that being said, i think if you email artists and/or go to conventions and show them your sick piece from nick, they might be more inclined to take you in. again, i dont know how true that is but that is the formula that has been working for me.

so if you want there are a couple conventions coming up in our area (ie. body art expo and the state of grace convention) that you should check out and network with artists. i have appointments at both so we can even link up and chop it up. ill be going to the las vegas convention in october as well, and that will have even more sick artists to network with. i think jose lopez and tony olivas will KILL that pirate ship piece.

a sample of tonys work
l_d40ab7003e3b4364aae41fe444564577.jpg

anyways, it seems like you have the right mindset, patience and dedication to get some quality work so im positive you will get some sick shit. good luck!

creativeinky
Participant
@creativeinky

oh oh there should be a girl in pirates’ hands and a hero rescuing here. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.