JediMaster012
Participant
@jedimaster012

After getting my first tattoo, I’m already itching to get some more and was looking for some advice. I’m looking to get a half sleeve devoted to the Star Wars dark/imperial side. It is most likely going to include the head of Darth Vader, the head of the Emperor, other imperial/dark side imagery and possibly a royal guard.

If I bring pictures as well, is this enough info to bring to a tattoo artist to give him something to work off of? I’m also completely open to suggestions from the artist as well.

Also, if you take out the red royal guard, this seems like something that would look good in black and grey. Would it be weird to have a mix of stuff that’s mostly black and grey, but with some colored parts? I’ve seen and loved some color tattoos that really pop because of the color. Basically, I’m wondering if I should go straight black and grey or use color. My only concern with color is that I don’t want it to look “cartoony.”

I assume that since I want it to focus on the heads of Vader and the Emperor, that I should find someone good at portraits, right? Not sure if this is the right section of the forums for this question, but does anyone know an artist in the Chicago area that would be good for something like this?

Lastly, the eventual plan is to add on to the left shoulder I have done and have it be a half sleeve devoted to the light side. What do people think about the overall plan? There don’t seem to be many people going the sci fi route on these forums, but thought I’d ask anyway.

I know this is a lot of questions from a relatively new member, so thanks in advance to anyone responding!

Giovanni Rosso
Participant
@giovanni-rosso

You should check out this site and maybe get the book that can be bought on this very subject…

http://www.theforceintheflesh.com/index.php

Plenty of ideas there for you I reckon.

JediMaster012
Participant
@jedimaster012

Yeah, I actually have that book. Mostly, I was wondering about how much I should come with to the artist ahead of time and how much I should let them come up with on their own. It would actually be cool to find some of the artists in that book, but most of them weren’t anywhere near me. 🙁

Giovanni Rosso
Participant
@giovanni-rosso
JediMaster012;50894 wrote:
I was wondering about how much I should come with to the artist ahead of time and how much I should let them come up with on their own.(

I’m not sure how other tattooists like to work but the artist I’m currently having a full colour sleeve done by liked to have as much art taken along as possible and then cherry picked images that worked well together. Some of my favorite ideas were tossed out but now it’s all coming together I can see just how much he’s right about his decisions and it’s working out great.

I guess the best thing would be to find an artist first whose portfolio you like and go and have a chat with them, taking along as many ideas as you can.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

my partner in crime would love that idea , him and his father sell or that vintage stuff for a living .
he opted for batman in the end :rolleyes:

JediMaster012
Participant
@jedimaster012

So I made an album with some other Star Wars tattoos I found that I liked. Can anyone recommend me a good tattoo artist in the Chicago area that could do something similar to some of those? I especially like the ones titled “WookieSleeve” that are in black & gray.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.