jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

hello im new to this forum. so hello to everyone haha.
    past week or so ive been drawing some things and thought id share them with you lot. my girlfriends cousin may have got me a shot at a tattoo apprenticeship and ive always wanted to get into it. so i thought i best start getting a bit of a portfolio together so i can show them something when i go see them.
    mainly been messing around with japanese designs and had a little go at new skool too.
    comments good and bad welcome!

new skool cupcake/crown crest.

crowncupcake.jpg

swallow.

swallow.jpg

lotus flower with cherry blossom.

lotusandcherryblossom.jpg

koi fish with cherry blossom.

koiandcherryblossom.jpg

and my first real attemp at drawing a tonal skull.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j…d/scan0009.jpg

hope somebody likes them.

all my drawings are free hand with no trace work.
    some parts are copied by looking as i am drawing them.

if anybody could tell me if images such as these would be suitable to show the tattoo guy it would be great also?!

thanx

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Hi,
    I can assure you that you need to step up the mark a little!!

Practice and try to find what you want out of this first.

I know loads of artist who can’t sketch for toffee, put machine in the hand and they work it well.
    Not all great tattoo artists can grind out flash, and not that many artists can work flash.
    Decide what you are wanting to do, practice practice and then some more, maybe you will hit home some day.

Mad butcher put a good link up the other day, try this kinda stuff. I’ll post a link whyen I find it.

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

cheers for the advise.
    could you elabourate on what u mean about tattoo artists not being able to sketch?!

also these arent the images i will be taking im just getting a feel for it and trying to imrove my drawing skills.

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

ok so ive re-worked the skull, i personally think it looks miles better with a lot more shading but it could still do with a bit more.

ScannedImage.jpg

had another little pop at new skool with this ring pop (ecxuse the pun)

scan0010.jpg

also been sketching this for my girlfriend.
    as you can read its the word delicate which is a song by damian rice who she is a big fan of and she is also a photographer so i thought id put a little bit of that in aswell.

scan0006.jpg

it is alot cleaner than it seems its just my scanners a bit shit and i didnt want to edit any pics.

as always any comments welcome.

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

another one from last night. sat up all night doin this so i hope somebody likes it.

scan0011.jpg

tell me what u think!

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

I haven’t got a clue what has been going on with relation to this thread!!:confused:

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

ive been posting pictures. isnt that what this section is for??

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

It is, I’m sorry, I need to open my mind a little. Many appologies, I’ll bury my head somewhere!!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Good start on the drawings – myself I never had the patience to pick up a pen or pencil and put in the practice.

I think what Scrubmuncher was trying to say is that to perfect your art you have to keep practicing every day until you get the tight lines and clear images that make ppl stand up and go wow. But more importantly that you feel happy with it.

That said I think you draw a damn fine koi!

I also like the portrait my only criticism (as a viewer) is that you could work the shading a little harder, define the mouth more and maybe a little more round the eyes. But hey it is a good attempt.

Keep it going and all the best.

Matthew

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

cheers for the nice words.

scrubmuncher ur obviously a bit of a keyboard warrior. no hard feelings.

the drawing of kurt is ruined by the fact that its been scanned in as my scanner shows up every pencil line.
    in the flesh the shading is a lot darker.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

What is a keyboard warrior?

I’m just not sure what you want to hear. This stuff is really not very good. Your whole concept of what is going to be interesting and what requires skill is way off along with your ability at the moment. (Only trying to avoid you embarrassment of producing this kinda quality in a pf and expecting praise from a possible future employer).

Good luck with everything and I hope it goes your way but you need alot of practice if this is the kinda thing you wanna be doing.

Escucha!!
    showing creativity in your pf will go alot further for you than displaying what you are capable of at the moment. New ideas and concepts even if traced/snipped has much more worth for you.
    My 2pnce and I’ll leave you to it.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Going slight off topic –

Scrubmuncher a keyboard warrior is somebody who don’t hold back on their opinions when typing. 🙂

Cheers

Matthew

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.