TalkingBird
    Participant
    @talkingbird

I apologize in advance if I sound like an anal-retentive teenage girl. I also apologize if this isn’t on the best board. I felt like this was the best place for it.

I do not turn 18 until October, but at the onset of 2009, I decided I should start to finalize the ideas of my tattoo. I’ve have the basic idea for a long time, and the closer I get to getting it, the more excited I am.

Tattoo design
    Photoshop (not exactly the same as the design, PS was giving me problems)

Tattoo Explanation:
    “Les temps sont durs pour les rêveurs” is a phrase from the French movie Amelie, and it translates to “Times are hard for dreamers.”
    The dandelion would tie into the concept of wishing and dreaming. It would also represent tenacity and strength, dandelions have a habit of sticking it out any where.

Now, my questions:
    1) What are the guidelines for small text tattoos? How big does it have to be to not distort and be illegible over the years? Is the font I have chosen okay, or no? Also, I noticed the the text looked awkwardly small when I photoshopped it on the girl. Design-wise, I don’t want the tattoo passing too much of the spine, but I feel like that would make the font too small.
    2) How would I judge the skill of an artist in achieving my desired design? This is perfect. But I’ve can easily see it turning into a blurry mess at the wrong hands. I do do tons of research, but I know nothing about tattoos. What am I looking for in portfolios to judge ability?
    3) On the note of size, how big does the dandelion have to be to not turn into a distorted mess over time? The size I have on the girl is what I’d like. Also, what are your thoughts on placement & design in general?

Sorry, lots of questions. Thanks!

Mad_butcher
    Participant
    @mad_butcher

I don’t want to pay for it:p

I’ll find my art for free:)

i got 10.000 Flash Sheets on my pc… and i’m still looking for the right motive:)

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Talkingbird Hi,

First of all beautiful idea for a tattoo. I really like the scope of it.

I just want to underline here I am not a tattoo artist – just a perosn with tattoos and a passion for it so my views are just general and advice is again guiders.

The size of the text has to be clear and preferably a a-z of the letters in the font you want to use at least pt. 12 also have the phrase on a separate sheet in the same size. A good artist sould be able to use any font that you give them. If they say they cannot walk away.

The artist can always reduce the size of the letters from a scanned image or if they choose to go freehand they can clearly see the letters – if you go small letters and enlarge you can get blurring on reproduction as it is stretched.

The tattoo artist is very important first of all you need to check out that they are clean, hygenic and safe (registered if applicable). I would suggest looking over their finished portfolio’s of work they have done (not flash pictures but actual inwork). You can also use the internet to view artists work to see which most fits your style.

The size – well all tattoos will fade and blur slightly after 10-15 years – thic can be corrected to an extent by good skin care and re-shading of the tattoo. The smaller the tattoo the more it may lose definition but based on the actual sizing that would be a reasonable size to maintain.

Again it is perosnal choice on size – Photoshop is not the same as working on real skin – which is much more pliable, stretches and shrinks etc. The placement well again perosnal choice but lower spine would be fine or perhaps shoulder blade. Although remember if shoulder it will be on show with an open back dress etc.

Hope it helps – Good luck with the tattoo.

Matthew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.