captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Hi all,

I’ve only been painting for around 3 months so I know there’s a long way to go with these but thought I would post them up to see if I can get some advice.

Some are watercolour, some are markers and there is a pencil portrait in there somewhere.

I am posting these blind as my browser at work won’t let me see the pics in flickr!?

Thanks for looking!

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

I’ll try again withe the images later, not sure what went wrong..

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I really like the first piece! it’s qwerky. Keep it up dude.

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Thanks dude,

I did enjoy that one but feel like I could do it better.

Might try something similar rather than re-doing it.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you may want to see some artwork posted by a young tattooist Raiden Alexander, he tattoos at lucky draw in Atlanta Georgia, google him and check his stuff on facebook.

compare this young mans work to yours, raiden completed an apprenticeship at Brandon Bonds All or Nothing. your stuff is going to need a bit more work. pretty good start. I would suggest you find a local artist to work with or apprentice to draw and paint with. I know several in this area that have sessions together to work on their stuff. Or join a local class aan art college. Working with others lets us have something to compare ourselves too and really helps you grow.

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Cheers dude,

I know I need to put more work in and wish I had more time to do it. I’m hoping to get on a painting and drawing night course in the next few weeks, I missed the enrollment for the last one local to me.

I can already see an improvement from the first work I did and can still see how I can impove on the newer stuff I’m just trying to keep my head down and do it.

I don’t think any of the above stuff is portfolio worthy yet.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you have skills, you use the right elements, missing some proportions, alignments, little stuff that will make a big difference. but you are on your way.

wish you were around here, quite a few painting and drawing sessions, mix of experienced artists working on their craft and apprentices, working with other artists (just as in tattoo shop) really grows skills

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Sounds like I wish I was around there!

I put a lot of stuff on instagram and have been trying to find active forums, anywhere I can get feedback really. Going to start trying to discuss my work with artists I am getting tattooed by over the next few months and hopefully I will get some advice there.

Thanks again and i’ll try to keep this thread updated and hopefully see some progress!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Looking foreward to it,

one of my friends jason Reeder was a fed ex truck driver and tattoo collector, he quietly and patiently painted an drew all the time, he also collected probably 300 hours of tattoo work from the best artists in america………..he paid alot of attention, never bothering anyone……….then he shot out on his own and is now a proud shop owner and one hell of a tattoo artist……………….this can be done, it can

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

That gives me some hope! there are some great artists near me so I just need to save cash and get out there!

Going to order some new inks today I think

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

For only 3 months drawing its pretty good, but you are right u have a long ways to go. As long as u keep focused and dedicated i think u will do just fine.

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

had a go at a watercolour wolf last night, Ordered some more colours as I felt a bit limited, wanted a steel blue but the inks are pretty hard to mix sometimes.

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Had a go at another flash sheet last night, Feel better about it than my last few flash attempts (don’t think they’re in this thread)

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

Another one from last night. Purple hadn’t dried properly and I ended up with a smudge which i’m really annoyed about. Also ignore the crappy signature I was just experimenting!

captain_cabinet
Participant
@captain_cabinet

The colour pencils I ordered arrived yesterday so here is my first attempt with them…any advice for using pencils as i’m normally a watercolour/ink man!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.